Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for advice about Eir VOIP and Eir mobile package

• 25-09-2024 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

I am a long time Eir customer. Now paying €84/month for landline and FTTC, nothing else.

Today I finally called up Eir. I said Pure Telecom offer €30/month for 12 months and there is no reason for me to stay with Eir. Eir offered me a new contract at €35/month. They also offered me a €9.99/month rolling contract on my mobile phone and I can keep my number. They also said I would have to switch to VOIP for landline.

A few questions:

1. Is there any disadvantage to switching the landline away from copper to VOIP? I think I read a few negative comments about VOIP, like you cannot use phone points in your house anymore instead one phone has to be connected to the modem/router and others would connect wirelessly to that. But is the voice quality as good/reliable with VOIP compared with over copper wires or not?
    2. I am a long time Vodafone pay-as-you-go customer. Should I be concerned about the Eir mobile/4G service being less good compared to Vodafone? I have a friend who pays a €9.99 to another provider, can't remember the name, and apparently the coverage is spotty compared with Vodafone.

Cheers,

Flex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The call quality on VoIP is generally better than the copper line if moving to FTTH - not sure about it on FTTC. My parents were having terrible trouble with the copper line and it was replaced by FTTH instead and they have had no quality issue.

Everyone will be switched over to VoIP in the coming years as eir decommissions the copper network.

Depending on where your new router gets installed, it could be possible to rewire the internal phone sockets to connect to the VoIP socket on the new router.

The eir 4G/5G coverage will all depend on the coverage in your area - maybe get an eir payg sim and try it out in your phone to check the coverage where you live.

You can always still get the €9.99 deal from eir later as a broadband customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Cheers pizzahead77

I checked on coveragemap.comreg.ie and I think I'll stay with Vodafone. I pay €20 each 28 days on payg which is pricey but I think Vodafone have the best coverage nationally. Coverage where I live and work will not be as-good if I go with Eir… apparently they took over Meteor so it doesn't surprise me that the Eir mobile coverage is not as good as Vodafone.

For VOIP, should I just be able to plug the base of my existing cordless phone in to the back of the Eir router or will I need to buy a new phone or adapters? There's something called an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) but maybe that is built in to the Eir modem/router?

One downside to VOIP is you have no landline phone during a power cut. And something about Eir don't give you details to make full use of VOIP on other devices? So for example, if you want to replace the Eir modem/router you will need to daisy chain the Eir router, functioning as a dumb switch, to your new router just to keep the VOIP phone working. Another downside to VOIP is none of the phone points in the house will work anymore either unless, as you say, they all get connected somehow to the router, which I would probably have to pay an electrician to do.

So there are downsides to VOIP as I see it but maybe no showstoppers for me at least, and besides I will more than likely never use it anyway because who uses landlines at home any more?!

Cheers,

Flex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yes, you'll be able plug your existing cordless phone into the eir router - it has an ATA built-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

On the ATA, this may be built in to the router already and depending how your internal phone wiring is done it should be possible to feed every existing point around the how like now and use the existing analogue phones. If there isn't an ATA your supplier should be able to provide a standalone unit.

When my SIL moved from the copper landline we simply disconnected the incoming landline cable behind the socket, connected the ATA and all worked as before.

Advertisement