Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I would love to study hairdressing, please help

• 25-09-2024 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I was interested in hairdressing when I was a teenager. I even did a week's work experience in a salon. I decided it wasn't for me and I didn't pursue it. There was a few things that I didn't like about it at the time. That was 25 years ago though.

I would love to pursue hairdressing now. I was too immature in my youth. I saw hairdressing as too glamorous. I was too much of a tomboy too. I would love to pursue it now.

How would I go about going down this route?

I am in my early 40s and I am anxious about going to college full time because it won't earn me an income and pay bills. I think a part time course or a mixed learning course being some online and with some classes a few times a month would be good. I don't know what is available.

I would love to study hairdressing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Madd002

Most people would normally have a knack for hair from when they were young and they'd go from there maybe as a junior on a Saturday or when they'd left school take up an apprenticeship with a salon and train under a qualified stylist, the training part would be cutting and the knowledge of colors etc those have to be learned and courses are available for those where qualification certs would be issued on completion, it really is a learn on the job, there's alot into it and at your 40's it isn't something I'd be looking to go into, wages aren't great working every weekend and over the holidays plus standing all day. Unless your good with hair now and could blowdry ghd etc u could try a get a Saturday job to start, online courses isn't an option as hair is hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 goldsparkle

Hairdressing wasn't for me 25 years ago but I am very much drawn to it now. I do feel like I have a calling for it now. It's a creative field and I do have creative pasttimes. I am useless with hairstyles but I love haircare and caring for my hair. It's something that I would love to pursue.

I presumed I would need some studies behind me to work in a salon. I would love to help in a salon as an assistant and learn.

I'm not a stranger to long hours, unsociable hours, low pay. I currently work in care and I did love it for a long time but it's ungodly at times.

Im drawn to a lot of haircare videos online from YouTube and tiktok. I love adopting haircare practices for myself. Not only this I am now drawn for work. It's something I would love to do but I don't know where to start. I have a hairdressers head that I bought this summer and I love practicing hairstyles on it but I am useless with hairstyles. I would love to get a scissors to it but I didn't do that yet. I'm really drawn to haircare and hairdressing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

HHi Op.

NNow my wife did it about 5 years ago. She could not afford to do it full time as she had a full time career she was invested in and could not afford to live on apprenticeship wages and then to rescale the ladder.

She did do a course with a private provider (no grant,2 days every second week) she was provided with her basic kit (heads, City &Guilds manual, hair dryers and scissors etc). I bought her a Parlux hairdryer before end of year exams. she got her City and Guilds level course.

TThat is the industry standard course. Now we cash rich and time poor. The company did offer finance. We had cash in hand (big advantage), we were quoted a number. My wide is a great negotiator so "we didnt know" "unsure", "checking the market" for three weeks until we got a price we could work with. It is your advantage to have cash. Many on the course were dreamers who didnt understand you had to pay for the course and when you signed for the course with a finance company you were entering a contract to keep up payments. Duhhhh!!!! Its not a VTOS course you can walk away from with no consequences. So a few of them were kicked off and still had the bill. Cash is king and dont be in a hurry to agree to agree a price, approach them, withdraw and let them come to you with a workable number. Cash works for them too better.

Any credible school will be partnered with a major cosmethics/colouring brand.

YYou are going to have to provide your own models. So you better have good friends and be a good hairdresser. It was a wonderful course and my wife did it over 8 months. The school packaged hairdressing, barbering and finishing course (light cosmethics).

No my wife did not leave her career to start a new one. However it did give her a great sense of adventure and confidence. One of her friends left Dublin to move to a rural place to start her own salon. Owning a hairdresser is a lisence to print money.

I would advise any young girl who wanted a gap year to skip transition year and consider this course for a year before college. A lady needs to know how to present herself, get a 4 year qualification in a year. You need a few other skills to be in business. You need a bit of sales, portion control, merchandising, social media etc. To be successful.

Thank you for your reply and for giving me some details.

How much money did you guys pay to do the course? It does sound appealing getting a course done within 8 months like that. 2 days every second week it does sound good.

I don't think I will be able to keep my current role and do that.

I will explore the possibilty of an apprentice or a PLC course.

How much would an apprentice income be?

• Advertisement

How about studying in the UK or within the EU? Would there be anything available like that? I know someone who studied medicine in Poland because the medicine costs here were too much. I would nearly explore moving to mainland Europe if there was any courses and hairdressing studies there.

I have a parlux already 🤣.

I will not tell you how much we paid bet I think we were asked for circa 4k, starting price. If you have cash you can ask for a discount.

WWhen you see people who sign up for the course without understanding the money part of it you understand the cost. Remember its private, its not VTOS. You get your kit at the start of the course.

When you start to study you are an apprentice. You are getting your training and you dont get your full pay until after 4 years (you work for reduced pay to repay your training) while you are getting your experience. That is what discouraged my wife. Perfect for a younger lady with not much life experience to learn about business, customer relations, social marketing etc.

Questioned Mrs Supacat on apprentice rates and she has no idea. For you to do an apprenticeship in hairdressing at your age you would have to be financially independent. You also would have to buy your own tools and equipment. A shears can be e200 and the Parlux was about e220.

You need to enter this with your eyes open to costs and understand the gravity of a salon owner giving you an apprenticeship at your age (they have to pay your tuition and exam fees).

IIts not impossible but you have to understand what you are asking for.

Im just after thinking of something. I have a partner time social welfare payment. I'm thinking of back to education allowance and PLC. Would that work? Would I be too late for applying for this years PLC?

If there's any hair theory I would love to be able to study online or do a blended learning course if there's anything available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your local ETB probably run courses. There will be a dedicated Adult Ed. Officer. Contact them.

Have a look at what is going on in the UK at the moment. Can you afford UK rents and feed yourself? This is why I asked are you financially independent. I dont know anything about equivalent courses in Europe. You know you need insurance to operate as a hairdresser? I dont know if European courses will give you a recognised qualification. I mean they will teach you to cut and colour hair but will the course be recognised? I dont know. You need to do a lot more research.

I can only advise you with what my wife told me and what circumstances you tell me about.

Insurance - to operate as a hairdresser?

I am not familiar with this.

I would imagine insurance is needed if someone wanted to be self employed as a hairdresser but how about as an employee in a salon?

If I were you, I would talk to my employer. Say it exactly like this "I want to do a CPD (continous professional development course). I can finance it myself. Can you help reorganise my hours without reducing them, please? Doing this course will me a better employee".

"That will allow you to do the course while keeping your current hours. Its only 8 months. Honestly you missed the start of the course and nearly the first month is gone. Go prepare for next year. Buy a note book for ideas and sketches. Learn how to use a camera, social media and learn business skills." Mrs Supacat

There's a 1 year hairdressing course in my nearest city but I missed the starting date. I would love it. If I plan now, for next year, I could do it.

YYour employer may pay your insurance but you will still need to provide details to get that insurance to work.

You are 40 not 17 you should know something about business at this stage. You dont know why a hairdresser would need professional insurance dealing with amonia and bleach?. I would take a year to learn about the business.

Will that course get you your city and guilds? Or is it just an introduction to hairdressing? That is stuff you need to check. Also the ones doing the private courses are usually more comitted. You are forking out e4k plus interest you better be committed.

TThat course looks the same as my wifes but it does nt have a cosmethics brand attached. Its full time which means you are on a back to education grant (equivalent of social welfare payment). Remember your portfolio (photography and social media) is your half your CV, the other half is your client list.

Also you know why they like young apprentices? Their backs are perfect. Hairdressing is tough on the back. Its a tough business to be in.

https://www.fetchcourses.ie/course/finder?sfcw-courseId=415241

Advertisement