Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self employed electrician

• 25-09-2024 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭

I’m a qualified electrician looking for some advice on self employment.

I currently have a cushy enough electrical job which would be seen as a “job for life “. However, I’m constantly stuck for money living week to week and relying on loans and robbing Peter to pay Paul. This is due to extenuating circumstances that mean I’m basically the sole earner for my family.

would it be possible to register as a contractor and work evenings and weekends to alleviate my financial woes ? Or would the costs of running a business be too much to be covered by the income from a part time electrical business ?

What exactly are the costs of becoming a registered electrical contractor? I know there’s the QC course, insurance , safe electric registration but I imagine I’m u aware of a lot of other costs?

Thanks to anyone who can advise me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭JL spark

You would need at least 20k in the bank to start up , would you not work for a contractor evenings and weekends,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 LameyerBobonov

You should consider starting small, focusing on a few clients, and gradually scaling as you become more comfortable with the business side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭User567363

Can you drop all luxuries until you get you head above water

Working long hours in a job where a mistake could kill you or others could cost you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Stick an advertisement in the local paper and you'll get plenty of work.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

Any overtime or 'on call' available in your present employment? Or could you do a few foxers at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

A basic insurance policy would be around €700 euro. I’d skip the safe electric and QC initially at least. There is plenty of ‘minor works’ that will best suit someone with limited time.

Or as suggested above link in with a busy contractor for a day a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭rje66

I had an electrician quote me 900 to wire up 9 garden lights and connect to an existing outdoor light.

A few of these and you'll be going ok. Plenty of handy jobs out there that unqualified trades can't do. As others have said put ads up start small and jobs will come in. Also be reliable, the amount of people I hear complaining about unreliable trades.

Advertisement