Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hit by a truck, car written off, insurance nightmare - help

• 26-09-2024 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1

Hi

Hope this is ok to post. (Mods, please move if not)

My car was hit by a truck in a scary collision on my commute to work. The truck driver admitted liability and put this in the documentation from his company which he gave me a copy of for my insurer. I called 999 immediately for the gardai but they didn't arrive on the scene in the 90 mins we waited before my car was towed. However, the incident support unit from TII was there and made sure everything was in order. I subsequently reported it to my local garda station.

I was lucky that my physical injuries seem to be minor (sprained wrist, inflammation in neck/shoulder and headaches) but I'm pretty shook up (I genuinely thought I was going to be killed)

I'm on leave from work and am meant to be resting, am on meds for pain and anxiety. But I'm dealing with insurance company who are telling me that my car is a category D write off and are offering me 2.5K less than what it would cost to buy the very same make and model from the same year with same/similar mileage. When I challenged this with the "independent" (insurance company-instructed) assessor I was told that the existing ding on the other side of the car was a reason for lower valuation. I actually got a quote from my garage when it was last serviced and it's nowhere near 2.5k of damage.

I don't understand how I can be left out of pocket in replacing my car like for like as a result of an accident that wasn't my fault and where the other party has admitted liability. Is this normal?

(Also, my understanding is that my car will be repaired and resold so the insurance company will make coin from that)

Because it was a European truckdriver and company, my insurance company is saying it will process the claim and then seek to recover from the other insurance company. I've been told that this will take months and it's highly unlikely that it will be sorted before my insurance is up for renewal in Feb, meaning I'll also face a premium increase.

Maybe I'm just really green when it comes to these things, but the last thing I expected when dealing with the stress of the crash is additional stress caused by my own insurance company.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Is this all par for the course?!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You need to source examples of where vehicles similar to yours are being offered for sale (age, mileage, spec and condition, allowing for damage) and present them to the assessors. After that, you either negotiate a settlement or seek legal adviceadvice of

The insurer is not going to coin it. , as you put it, by disposing of your car. The will offer it to a salvage company, in its damaged condition. Whatever they secure from this will be topped up from their funds to give you whatever settlement is agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Do you have photos of the existing damage to your car?

How new was the car, the newer it is the more the damage will knock the value down.

You say it would not have cost 2,500 to repair, how much would it have cost?

When you say equivalent cars are not for sale at the amount offered, would you have purchased your car with the same damage on it - this is what the assessor is arguing the market will apply.

When an insurance assessor looks at damage they would tend to apply bodyshop labour charges and costs as this is where insurers tend to send cars to be repaired, your mechanic could be much cheaper but, did you ever get a real estimate or just a quick opinion?

Forget comments about obtaining legal advice, at this point that will only wind you up with a bill which the insurer is not going to reimburse you. Besides, the 1st thing the solicitor will ask you for are copies of adverts for similar cars and their values - potentially they will look to arrange their own motor assessor report (which you will be asked to pay for).

if you can, find out what value the assessor would place on the car if undamaged - then you can see how that compares to the market and whether the issue is with the valuation of the car or the deductions for previous damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I stated that the OP has the option of seeking legal advice if he cannot first negotiate a settlement. They are his only 2 options. I did not suggest going straight down the legal route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

The first rule in an accident is not to have an accident.

Mrs CML was hit at traffic lights (other driver at fault) and it took considerable persistence to get a satisfactory outcome.

Look at it this way, they are doing their best to reduce their costs in order to increase profits keep our premiums low.

Advertisement