Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self employed - what does your Tax accountant do for you?

• 26-09-2024 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭

Over the past two years, my accountant’s firm has taken a much more passive approach to handling my tax returns. I send them my documents, and within a few hours, I receive my completed return and a bill (usually around €1000). In previous years, they would invite me to discuss everything in detail, ask questions about various items, and often find things we had overlooked. They also provided advice on changes I could make to reduce my tax liability.

This year, I questioned why this level of engagement has stopped, and their response was quite defensive. They stated their job is simply to process the information I provide and nothing more. I’m now considering switching firms, but I wanted to see if this type of service is typical, or if others are getting more thorough advice from their accountants in similar situations.

While I want to ensure I’m paying the correct amount of taxes, it’s just as important to me that I’m not overpaying. I expect my accountant to scrutinize what I send them and provide guidance on potential savings. Is this an unreasonable expectation? Should I consider working with both an accountant and a tax advisor? For context, I operate as a sole trader.

Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm speaking from the POV of the accountant

If very little has changed year on year in the amount of type of income or expenses, there wouldn't be as much to discuss since they will have most of the answers to any questions that may arise

There may be some small items to query that could reduce or increase your liability, they may have determined it's not worth the time to query with you, any tax saving may cost more in their fees than the saving. Just because they have not discussed it with you does not mean it was not reviewed and noted.

You will find an accountant who is willing to scrutinise every line of income and expense and check your eligibility for every credit and relief going, they'll charge by the hour and you could save €500 in tax for an additional €1,000 in fees.

Depending on your industry and turnover you likely will have little need for a specific tax advisor, most accountants working in practice will be able to handle your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Madd002

Unless you fall into the 40% bracket where your income is above the 20% threshold they'll advise putting money into a pension AVC's etc. to reduce tax bill and therefore reduce your preliminary tax for the following year. If everything else is the standard costs there's not alot they can reduce your tax by, as previous poster said if yours are fairly straightforward they dont need to bring you in. I'd be happy with a bill of €1k , I do the accounts on Sage and i have them added to login & pull nominals from there so I don't have to bring any paperwork in I'm charged €1450 Inc vat.

Advertisement