Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How old is too old for an apprenticeship?

• 26-09-2024 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I would love to change what I do now (care) and go into hairdressing. I'm drawn to hairdressing and haircare in a big way now. I love watching videos on hair, I love carrying out haircare on myself, and I would love to work with hair now.

I missed the starting date for this years courses.

I am just exploring for next year unless if I find anything else.

Does anyone here know any hairdressers? It looks like a cool job. I would love to do it. I am anxious too because I am in my 40s.

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sounds like you should go for it.

Only issue I can find is with age and physical jobs. I'm probably too old to be apprenticing for a physically demanding role like plumbing. Other than that, I don't see why you wouldn't if you're lucky enough to know what you want to do.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say go for it, I don't see any problem with your age but be prepared to be a general dogsbody in the hairdressers at the early stages, it could involve cleaning the toilets, scrubbing the floors, running to the shops for tea/biscuits etc which some people who are older may feel demeaning but that's how the system works.

I've seen people in their late 30s go in to the plumbing/electrician areas and while they enjoyed the actual work and learning they hated being at the bottom of the barrel as regards having to do menial tasks which would be expected of a new apprentice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 goldsparkle

Say if I am successful and I get an appenticeship in a salon - I'm not going to turn my nose up to helping other people and also helping the salon and establishment itself. A lot of my current job is helping others. I don't see an issue with cleaning floors and toilets and doing other tasks to help maintain a clean environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If you can afford it then do it, otherwise you'll regret it later. And you still have your current career to fallback on if necessary or even part time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

Go for it! With the passion you have for it, you’ll no doubt be a success and your employer will recognise that.

Your age is irrelevant. Life is too short to be worrying about what other people think.

Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

In this country I dunno

But my late brother whilst working oil sands Canada,

Was surprised to see his apprentice fitter

At least early 60s,

Guy explained as long as you're healthy in this country you can work forever !

He explained he started off as an engineer

Then apprentice in electrician,

Then a carpenter 🪚,

Retired but couldn't hack it,

Back to work as an apprentice fitter,

Wasn't money but he needed to keep busy

Advertisement