Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading to DDR5 - Advice on Build/Upgrade

• 26-09-2024 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi Folks,

I'm taking the move to DDR5 and upgrading for the first time in 4 years or so. This is my 2nd build other than small upgrades.

• Existing parts are the Cooler, Storage and Video Card.
    • I'm based in Ireland, so was looking at buying from Amazon.de
    • My Budget for the Upgrade is about 900-1000 Euro
    • Amazon.de current has the parts totaling at 939.56 Euro
    • I play action games, RPGs, strategy games and generally not as many shooters
    • I play 1080p.
    • I have all the peripherals I need.

Anyone notice any common mistakes, or have any suggestions, maybe decent traders other than amazon?

Do people think I need a better cooler for the 7800x3D?

Many Thanks!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/N7cGsh

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/N7cGsh

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($520.30 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 EAGLE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($115.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.29 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus STRIX OC GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card

Case: NZXT H6 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.96 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ B&H)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭minitrue

X870 and X870E boards are probably launching on Monday and now rumours are starting that the 9800X3D will be out earlier than expected within about a month, which makes sense to me as it could ruin the Intel release. So I'd say it's a terrible time to be considering this.

I know the gaming sphere in general have felt Zen 5 is the worst thing ever but the 9800X3D could see a bigger improvement if they don't have to downclock it as much or can just let it run a little hotter. Even if it's only a similar small improvement for gamers it should at least push the 7800X3D back down from it's current stupid price (it's up 20%+ in the last few months). Similarly while the X870 and X870E might in practice end up as nothing more than a rebrand with a mandate for usb 4 it's possible the manufacturers will just flat out make better boards now in the second generation and again it will push the X670/B650 boards down in price.

As for what you listed, the 1TB hard disk jumped out to me first as wildly out of place. I don't know about the motherboard choice, something like the ASRock B650M HDV/M.2 is probably better and cheaper but the cooler/ram choices suggest you might not like the idea of a matx board in your chosen case ;)

Your cooler should be plenty for the 7800X3D, it's not a very power hungry chip.

If you flip to the German de.pcpartpicker.com you can see the actual prices more easily though I think only amazon, caseking and computeruniverse will ship here and you have to pay attention to the final prices after VAT and in particular shipping here to actually know if it's worth ordering from them.

Advertisement