Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to set heating

• 27-09-2024 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

Hello!

I'm looking for the most energy-efficient way to operate the heating in our small two-bed house. We have a gas combi boiler and a two-zone system, upstairs and downstairs. We have a thermostat upstairs and another downstairs. We don't have Hive or anything like that, so we can't operate the system remotely. The radiators have 5 heat levels, which are all set to 5.

At present, we barely use the thermostats. They are set to 22C or 23C. The heating is set to come on for 30 minutes in the morning and then 90 minutes in the evening. We also boost it for one hour downstairs or upstairs when we feel cold.

My question is - would we be better off setting the heating to be on constantly with the thermostats set at 20C? Or would that cost a fortune? Also, should the radiators be set at 3 or 4 instead of 5, or does that matter?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

leaving them on permanently at 20C sounds like madness, if you currently have it on for three hours a day.

are your rooms actually at 23C, do you know? that sounds warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Rooms are not at 23C - I just set it like that to ensure that the boost works when we press it.

Upstairs is currently 20.4C and downstairs is 20.8C.

Leaving it on constant at 20C does sound like madness - the only reason I considered it is because I read a comment on Reddit about how it's more energy efficient, as heating the house from a colder temperature takes more power.

Post edited by Tusky on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, it takes more to heat a house from cold than it does to maintain a house at 20C - but here's an analogy; if you make three cups of tea a day, do you think you're better off boiling the water for three cups of tea as required, or leaving the kettle on the boil all day?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How long does it take for your house to get cold again when the heat is turned off ?

Unless it's a very long time you should only turn on the heat when you need it. Gas is the same price whichever hour you use it, electrical heating may be more cost effective if you have storage heaters or immersion at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,679 ✭✭✭✭ted1

for sleeping Its recommend to keep the heat at 15.6 -20 degrees .if you can vary the temperature set it to 16 for when you are asleep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

it’ll turn off when the house reaches 16 degrees…… as I said the recommend sleeping temperature is 15.6 - 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A reasonably insulated home and a decent duvet should negate any need for heating on at all while asleep. Timer to turn it on in the morning and off you go.

maybe you are not used to a smart thermostat.
    if the house has all those , the temperature shouldn’t fall below 16 , so the heating won’t be called for.

Smart thermostats like the Nest or similar don’t have “On “options. What you do is set the desired temperature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The simplest option is to replace your current thermostats with timed thermostats. This allows you to set different temperatures at different times. You would then leave your existing timers switched on permanently. I had this setup for years, in our previous house.

In our current house we have smart TRV's on each radiator, only heating individual rooms when we need to. That is a big step up in terms of efficiency. If your current radiator valves are compatible with the smart TRV's installation is straightforward. I use the Honeywell Evohome systems, many others are available. You'll get a lot of information on these systems on the Home Automation Forum.

• Advertisement

if your home heating system doesn't have an 'off' option, i'd be worried. you don't need to keep your house at 16C if you're not in it.

(mine does, bar a 5C floor for frost protection)

who’s said anything about keeping it at 16 when empty ?

NEST has an away function which knows when you are a way so wont call for heat other than for frost protection

Advertisement