Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israel are going to start WWIII

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭ThePentagon

Reading through this thread has reaffirmed my view that Irish people should stay out of the Israeli-Palestine conflict, regardless of which side one is inclined to support. The whole thing is too fiendishly complex - the things that are happening now are the legacy of fateful decisions that were made decades ago. Irish people will have zero influence over the outcome of the conflict so there's no point stressing over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Netanyahu is the most evil leader in the world ….. Gaza, Lebanon and the brains behind Trump's Iran war …. Netanyahu has too much influence in the US ….. not only Trump's mad boyos but in the mainstream too …. this guy could indeed set in motion the creation of a major worldwide war directly or indirectly ….. he is a Hitler-type, a Milosevic-type with the full support of the West ……..

Israel in its current form …. i.e. Netanyahu's intolerant warmongering far right junta and its MAGA offshoot ….. does 100% deserve to be wiped off the face of the earth ….. anyone who supports Netanyahu supports the new Hitler and the new Hitler's lackey Donald Trump …… and by saying this does not make a person anti-Israel or anti-Jew …. just anti this evil regime …. wipe it out and let a moderate rule Israel and complete the 2 state solution and make peace with the rest …. Iran has a moderate president …. the Iraqis and Syrians will follow suit …… get rid of Netanyahu's malign influence and you solve a lot …..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,706 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Deleted my post as I mentioned Jewish people when I meant Israel

Post edited by cj maxx on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Of course they will weaken them, but BN is in record saying Israel will not stop until Hamas is wiped out.

That is something that simply can't happen. They don't know every single member of Hamas, so how do they know they have wiped them out?

They can't, and they are doing what the British did in NI with actions like Bloody Sunday, just making a new generation of supporter and the terrorists of the future. If you're a young child and you are having your siblings and parents wiped out, you are very likely to harbour some ill will towards Jews. Or if you are a moderate adult male, and have your kids blown to bits, you'll be asking for a weapon to fight back.

It's a perpetual cycle. The only way it will end is if both sides learn to live together cos the other side ain't going anywhere.

• Advertisement

They should ….. most of the world including most Israelis hate this junta ….. they are the new Hitler and new Milosevic all rolled into one ….. they are also the brains behind Trump/MAGA ….. Trump and MAGA will have to come up with new ideas not involving the Iran war when Netanyahu is in the Hague where he belongs …..

Netanyahu has killed Soleimani, Nasrallah, various Hamas leaders, etc. ….. there is a bullet waiting for him and he who lives by the sword dies by the sword ….. hist Love/Hate Nidgelike ways are bound to come back and visit him ….. and the sooner the better ……………

PS: apologies to Nidge for comparing him to that toerag Netanyahu !!!

The decent Jews should stand up and condemn what is being done in their name ….. and I know this is happening …. the US government should step up and condemn Netanyahu and his regime ….. Trump won't because he is a lackey but the Democrats should ….. and it is time to denounce this far right regime just like the world did Hitler and Milosevic because Netanyahu is a member of that club …. if anything worse ….. Netanyahu has killed millions of innocents in Palestine, in Lebanon, etc. and has murdered Soleimani, Nasrallah and various Hamas leaders ….. thus ensuring hatred and mistrust for years to come among peoples ….. he uses dimwit henchmen like Trump to do some of his dirty work …. Netanyahu is no one's friend and now is the time to realise this before he leads the duped down a path they do not want to go down …. Milosevic and Hitler must be wondering how and why Netanyahu was able to woo the West while they couldn't !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

A taste of the sentiment of the time https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesofisrael.com/when-ireland-rejected-jewish-orphans-fleeing-nazis-this-man-saved-dozens/amp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

West Bank was traditionally Israeli territory

Poland was traditionally German territory, Ukraine was traditionally Russian territory, And we're not talking a thousand years ago either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

and Ireland was traditionally British territory

Israel is about imperialism just like Russia is about imperialism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

In relation to starting world war 3, when you look at the bombing maps of gaza by Israel it's basically covering the whole area akin to a nuke.

I know I'm being hyperbolic, and that a nuclear bomb is a totally different story but its funny how thousands upon thousands of bombs are seen as a much much lesser evil than a nuke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭L Grey

All part of the plan, gentle potato-heads.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Amazing how people can use the term 'the Jews' like this in 2024 and no one bats an eyelid.

This thread is just turning into pure racism. As it's directed at Jewish people it's apparently ok though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Palmach

There is plenty of anti Jewish hate these days. The thing is they are used to it. The hate has only increased since now Jews via the state of Israel can fight back. Bibi isn't my favourite politician but he is doing a fine job of removing some of the worst vermin from the ME. Get the Houthis and the Supreme Leader and he will have done humanity a great service.

Irish people can be Jewish. The thread is packed with throwaway anti-jewish comments and anti-jewish tropes, 'the Jews control the world' etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭spakman

What's anti-Jewish by highlighting the control Jewish people exert?

And Israel is the "Jewish homeland" so of course its relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,383 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Your argument appears to be along the lines of

"What, how can you say some Nazis were violent and cult like? Here are some links to some historical uprisings in France and Italy by unrelated groups at other times in history which proves that they weren't"

• Advertisement

The 'jewish people secretly rule the world' conspiracy is around 800 years old. If you have to ask 'what is anti-Jewish about it' you are beyond help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭spakman

I'm not saying they control the world. I'm saying they exert a lot of influence, particularly in USA, which they can rely upon for financing, arms, and no repercussions for their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭Shoog

Your displaying a real deep level of racism there with your term "vermin", a bit like the old mowing the grass. It's fine to be horribly racist to Palestinians but seemingly Israelis are the victims here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭batman75

No civilised country is going to back another country that commits genocide Jewish or otherwise. As for a right to defend itself absolute nonsense. Israel is the aggressor pure and simple. The Palestinian people have had their land stolen to give Israel it's existence. Of course they're going to rise up. It's not rocket science. The sooner Israel as a modern nation is dissolved and a proper Palestinian state created the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Posters whose only point of reference is a superficial understanding of the Northern Ireland conflict using that as their entire frame of reference for Israel/Palestine is so terrible it's almost funny.

What about the Sri Lankan civil war versus the Tamil Tigers? How did that work out for the Tigers in the end? The Djiboutian civil war? Angola? I mean, there are any number of such conflicts that have ended with the original regime still in charge, and any measures towards the insurgents have come after they put down their weapons.

The idea that a sensible way to peace is for such a group to be rewarded for a murderous attack on civilians is not borne out by any conflict I know of - except when the insurgents have been able to defeat the regime militarily. And even then, the result is most often a failed state, rather than a new and better one. South Sudan or East Timor might be examples.

But for pity's sake, the repeated inaccurate comparisons with Northern Ireland are evidence only of posters' own inability to look beyond their own back yard to understand the world.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

'Dissolved'? How exactly do you foresee that happening? In an Iranian 'Wipe israel off the map' way? In a Hezbollah 'Destruction of Israel' way? How could these possibly come about without the loss of hundreds of thousands of lives?

The only way there will ever be peace is through a two state solution, that people still can't understand this is mind-blowing.

Not only that, another poster said I was creating a straw man for calling out that first sentence as anti semitic. So even posters who won't actually say this themselves are happy to see others saying it.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

A lot of barely concealed anti-semitism in here.

The Jews control everything. We need to cease Israel's existence. Won't anyone think of the poor terrorists that got their comeuppance etc.

"We don't hate Jews, only Israel". Sure buddy.

And calling their right to defend themselves 'absolute nonsense'. Sure, after the October 7th attack, how dare they try to defend themselves and prevent future attacks, disgusting behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Israel never faced an existential threat from its Arab neighbours is another of their greatest hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Does anybody have the right to defend themselves when Israel attacks them?

The right for a colonized population to resist their colonizers is implicit and as applicable to the Palestinians as it was to the Irish.

And by the way, my family heritage is northern Irish unionist so my experience is a little deeper than you would suggest. I am also one of the few people here who has actual direct experience of Israel. It was that direct experience which made me a Palestinian advocate. Having seen the brutality and racism of the regime first hand made me anti-zionist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Jerusalem post

Is Lebanon part of Israel’s promised territory?

In biblical contexts, the Euphrates River is often mentioned as a significant boundary in the promises made to the Jewish people regarding the Land of Israel.

If one looks at a map, they will be astounded by how far north this river extends and how vast the Land of Israel truly is. While we may not be able to reclaim all of it in our time, Hashem will surely return it to us soon.

The goal from day one. Israeli leaders have openly advocated for greater Israel for as long as the state has existed, people simply refuse to pay attention to what they say because they frame them as the good guys and allies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A key question that their supporters ignore. Israel is always the "victim" and acting purely out of self defence, even when they attack their neighbours with colossal military force. This narrative means that Israel can never be seen as a colonial aggressor or guilty of war crimes, only as a benign and peaceful state "fighting for its survival".

• Advertisement

The 'existential threat' hasn't existed since the late 1960s and early 1970s. Israel asserted itself as top dog in the region in no uncertain terms and showed it was nigh on impossible for any Arab country to topple the state or replace it.

Also, the idea that the West would stand by and allow Israel cease to exist as a nation and be taken over by its Arab neighbours is complete and utter nonsense - something the Israeli propagandists are cynically well aware of when they trot out the existential threat line to their western supporters.

my family heritage is northern Irish unionist

I didn't know one inherited personal experience! How much time did you spend in Northern Ireland during the troubles? Did you go to school there? Did you work there?

If not, you may as well say that Kamala Harris has a deeper understanding of the India-Pakistan conflict simply because of her heritage than people who actually live there.

Or that Trump understands German history and communism because of his origins.

I spent years of my childhood living in NI.

The fact I came to different conclusions to you doesn't remotely make your opinion superior to mine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It might sound dreadful, but given the endless litany of bloodshed in that part of the world, I wish at times that the Middle East was just wiped off the face of the Earth completely.

It's a cesspit of deep hatreds, unending violence, zero respect for any human rights, deeply intolerant of difference and filled with irrational and backward religious sky fairy/death cult fanaticism.

The world would be a much better place IMO if the Middle East simply did not exist.

Barbaric and backward are its defining traits.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Of course it doesn't. I've been pointing out factual errors in posts about Northern Ireland. I was assuming ignorance rather than something worse. If you actually lived there and still don't understand what living in an area controlled by paramilitaries means in practice, well, what can I say?

• Advertisement

Northern Ireland is an occupied territory, the fact that it was occupied 500 years ago doesn't change that fact. After independence it operated as a Protestant feithdom with deeply prejudiced rules which made it intolerable to be a catholic. Some sort of conflict was all but inevitable given those circumstances. If it had have been set up with equity at its foundation then it is unlikley that the armed struggle would have started.

Telling one side of the story doesn't enhance your credibilty. I saw first hand the casual prejudice and discrimination that caused the conflict.

As this has been warned off this is the last comment I will make regarding NI.

Not correct that people in the Middle East are all fanatical adherents to religion. The majority in fact would be young and well educated and have little time for religious fanaticism and bigotry. As ever, it is those out on the extremes who make the most noise and get the most attention (we can see this in Ireland with the far right especially and the far left).

But none of that is disputed. I am only disputing the claims that Northern Ireland can serve as evidence that armed conflict, or paramilitaries in general, bring about improvements in the lives of ordinary people. They didn't in NI and they don't.

And as you say, that's really all there is to say about that.

Back on topic, here's a "journalist" who illustrates the problem of thinking that supporters of Islamists are in any way interested in degenerate western issues like journalistic objectivity:

On the plus side, the reported death (I think, not yet confirmed) of Nasrallah's replacement at the head of Hezbollah yesterday really makes me wonder about the quality of those who are left to take over at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭deirdremf

This is an Irish discussion forum, so why should Irish people not discuss the matter?

The whole world is discussing it, it was discussed in the UN - so why should Irish people be singled out and told it is none of our business? Seems a little patronising to say the least.

A colonist in absolute control has no interest in a negotiated solution - what have they to gain ?

There are to many examples of where a colonist was brough down through armed resistance - it has been shown time and again to work and that is why it happens.

They all had a "home" for the colony to go back to though. Israel doesn't. Even the 10% of Israelis who have a second nationality often come from somewhere that oppressed or killed Jews over the centuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭deirdremf

You really can’t have it both ways.

If Israel is the“jewish” state, and if it claims to act in the name of the jews - of all jews worldwide - as so many of its supporters on this forum say, if Israel and the zionists conflate the words “israel” “zionist”and “jew” - then you cannot complain if others have ended up doing so too.

But you have now lost all control of the narrative. Israel/zionist actions over the past 12 months have cost you that. And you will pay for this in so many ways, leading eventually to the end of your vicious little apartheid state.

You have brought the world to the brink of nuclear war. Such is your hubris and so great is the evil in your version of Mordor that in fact I will actually not be surprised - horrified, certainly - if I wake up one day to discover that Israel has used its nuclear weapons, killing millions more without a qualm or a worry. Your hubris is incredible, as we see every day on this forum, with a variety of posters lauding every disgusting action by Israel and egging them on to further evil, laughing about and crowing over each successive massacre, whether of a military commander – or of civilians, children and even pregnant women.

Do not use this as an excuse for zionist colonialism. There were places which a Jewish homeland could have been setup which would not have caused the inevitable conflict that placing it in Palestine has caused. The earliest zionists well understood the outcomes of setting up a homeland in the middle east. They knew what would happen.

Who had to make reperations for their actions in the second world war ? Germany country with a strong Jewish heritage and a large territory who couldeasily have seeded land for a Jewish homeland. Alternatively America could easily have made room for an independent country for Jews.

It was a terrible idea to cave to militant terrorist Zionists in the Levant, and everything that has followed is a consequence of that cowardice by the British, Americans and UN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,236 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Our government strategically mouth off on Palestine to deflect their destruction of our basic services and reliance on a fragile multi national tax income

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Perhaps we are just against the mass murder of women and children. There also seems to be public support shown for Palestine which the government is responding to compared to the not existant public support shown for israels actions this past year. We also have peace keepers in Lebanon which would of some interest to our government and the general public.

• Advertisement
Advertisement