Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I get a custom fitting?

• 29-09-2024 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I'm a very high handicapper. Still some topping, thinning and taking 4 to get out of a bunker.

Ive played for the last three summers as I work in a school so have the time off to do so but have fallen away from September to the following April or so meaning I lose any progress.

I plan to stick at it now though as Id like to improve.

I'm using my brother's old clubs that he used as a 16 year old. They are Dunlop 65's.

Would I benefit from getting a custom fitting and looking for new clubs or is it far too early for that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭French Toast

Have you gone for lessons? If not they are your starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭coillcam

I don't know what the clubs are like tbh. If the clubs were really not suitable, you could pick something up for €500 on adverts that would do.

Custom fitting is expensive and is worth it once you get a reasonable base. Until you've made some reasonable progress in your game, you'd be better-served spending on a program of lessons with a good pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Warbeastrior

I've had x3 lessons in total so ill start there. Thanks folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭coillcam

Something that won't cost a penny is learning better course management. On YouTube there's a good channel called golf sidekick. No swing or technical stuff just simple strategy to break 100, 90 etc.

Another one is called not a scratch golfer. He's got a very non traditional swing but still shoots low 80s and often in 70s without being a long hitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

I would get a few lessons. Then get a decent second hand set say for €500. Then upgrade as you go along or once you stick with it. There's adverts.ie, Club house golf and theres a shop in Celebridge that sells second hand clubs "The Golf Studio" Think they have new sets too that are old models but main thing is they have a range as far as I know so you can try out before you buy.

But I would definitely upgrade on the Dunlops. No offence but there scrap 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement