Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Block Built Garden Room

• 30-09-2024 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi there, I am hoping to avail of some of the kind design advice and wisdom I've seen in other threads!

We had this plan drawn for a block construction garden room. On reflection the original location in our garden wasn't a good choice for light and for services (not much fall for the waste) so we've chosen another spot. In the new location windows A and B are now looking at a wall! Plus the house is the opposite side to the door! You get the idea!

Before asking the engineer to adjust for that perhaps you see a better way to arrange things? The goal is primarily a work space, and I work later in the day too, so don't want to face into direct sunlight. My desk area I've planned for a brise Soleil which also screens the "work area", i.e. mess from the garden peace! That window should be full width (small mistake on drawing).

Our garden is fairly large and rural. To the north is original stone wall which looks pretty so could be a nice backdrop. Looking south towards the house is, well, the back of a house! So west is the garden is hopefully best as an outlook and has the evening light.

For function, work as I said, but with this investment being able to use it for temporary accommodation for family or other future planning is desirable.

As drawn it is typical flat parapet roof. I did try to think of solar but it's managing the aesthetic so it sits gently in the garden without looking too busy. Open to idea - why I am here!

The reason the front projects to two different depths was mostly to make it "interesting" but to separate the work area.

The entire structure is clad in burned larch to hopefully blend into the garden and it's copper beech hedging and other natural trees.

I'd love to hear all your thoughts AND criticisms!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, honestly, I'd go for almost max-solar-gain. Years like this one have been poor in terms of solar gain, other years you might get a lot more, but I'd prefer to have it and be able to block it, rather than not have it at all and regret it. Also, how had you planned on heating it? It might be a very good contender for a split-unit/AC. Burnt larch sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 eiritated

That's an interesting point on solar gain. I had some similar thoughts on solar PV. Perhaps from this image you can see the shadow of some trees that would screen the south aspect. But you are right we should be trying to gain as much natural heat and light as we can!

So glad you asked about space heating! I was only starting to research those but such a unit looks ideal! Would you have any suggestions on ventilation? Our current home just has those holes in the wall with vents! Maybe this could/should be in the window frames?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The goal is primarily a work space

On the king sized bed? Spicy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Shoog

I know you are well into your design by now but I would consider a kit garden room. Built on screw piles and prefabricated in the factory from highly insulated SIP panels. Minimal disruption and up in a day or two.

Undoubtedly would work out cheaper to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 eiritated

Thanks for the reply! We started with that idea: both SIP and also timber-frame constructed off-site and indeed the price for the "traditional" block construction are about 15% higher. For us that additional spend is worth it. That's for the same standard of construction as a modern house, pumped cavity, proper insulation, etc.

The availability of local trades is a factor. For SIP we struggled to get a contractor to do it, and with timber-frame we only priced the regular Garden Room players who you probably know.

Perhaps we should be trying harder to find someone who can do SIP if it really should be much cheaper? Or maybe this relative difference is typical (+15%).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Shoog

For me the founds are going to be the majority difference. A block built structure needs a proper foundation which is a slow and expensive thing to install needing machines and lots of disruption. One of the kit options can be installed on screw piles which can be installed in a half day with almost no prep or site disruption.

Once the structure is off the ground rot of the prefabricated room is a non issue so should easily last as long as the block alternative. The piles are good for a minimum of 25years but realistically that should be fifty. SIPs at least are airtight by design so thermally they should have a far superior performance than the block equivalent.

Just my thoughts.

Advertisement