Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lawrence John's Pirate Stations

• 30-09-2024 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭

Lawrence John is a name that crops up a lot when looking at archives of Irish pirate radio stations during the 1980s, particularly Dublin. As you can see below, he resurfaced again on the pirate scene from the late 1990s to the mid 2000s. I think I may have come across him once or twice in the 1980s. Here are the stations that I am aware of from looking at archives. Unless otherwise stated, they were from the 1980s and were Dublin pirates.

Radio Leinster

Radio Nova

Sunshine Radio/101

Kiss AM/FM (from Parnell Square - not Radio Nova's sister station Kiss FM)

Q102

Cara 95/Heartbeat FM

Kiss FM (Monaghan Town as John Friday)

Energy 106 (1997-2005 - initially near Belfast and then Monaghan from 1998)

Do you know of any other pirates that Lawrence John was with?

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I found another Monaghan Town based pirate that Lawrence John was involved with in 1989. It was called FM100 and was run by him from the former studios of another Monaghan pirate called K.I.T.S. From what I read, FM100 may initially have used the studio of Belfast pirate B-96. It is possible that he may have had some involvement with that pirate too (there is a picture of him in B-96's studio in 1989), but I cannot be sure about that. I wonder did Lawrence John, who was from Belfast after all, have previous involvement in Belfast pirates before he turned up on Dublin pirates.

I see as well that Lawrence John was doing voiceovers in 1989 on long running Monaghan pirate Radio Star Country. It does not mention if he actually presented on it. I wonder did he do much voiceover work for other pirates.

i found another Dublin pirate that Lawrence was with! It was Capitol Radio from 1982, the short-lived album-oriented station.

Advertisement