Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol cars

• 04-10-2024 9:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for advice. I'm in the market for a used petrol car. Had diesel cars before with nothing but problems with them. I don't do enough milage. I've narrowed the search down to a 1.6 nissan qashqui, a 1.6 VW Passat, and a 1.6 Toyota avensis. I've heard that petrol Passats are trouble, is this actually the case? The qashqui would be last in my preference, but would like to hear people's opinions on them. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭User1998

1.6 petrol Passat? You must be looking at buying a 17 year old car then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭murphym7

I have very low mileage and have been driving petrol Octavia's for 15 years, I've had 3 of them. Never had an issue with them. Plenty of space and of course the famous boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭Wossack

We got caught with a timing chain issue on a 2010 1.2tsi octavia good few years back, but was part covered by good will by the dealer. It was a little bit breathless truth be told, but there were a few different power outputs of that particular engine, so we could have had the weaker one

Driving our 1.4 superb (182) and its been great last 3/4 years. Water pump went in it few months back, but bit of a known issue with the engine afaik. There was a 1.5TSI, but from memory when we were buying our superb, I was trying to avoid it, and getting the 1.4 with ACT, but cant recall specifically why.. I note for the new hybrids superbs, they are back at 1.4 - might have to do your own research there

Both combi's, low mileage etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭yagan

What's your criteria as those three cars you mention aren't all alike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭AuldDaysul

That 1.4tsi is a good engine. The 1.5 you were probably avoiding because of the kangarooing issue. The 1.4 with ACT needs a vag computer to set timing properly, a laptop with 2 angle gauges fixed on the cams, the 1.4 without ACT is a little easier and can be done with standard vag timing tools. I don't do the ACT timing belts, I advise customers to bring it to dealer although I think there are some aftermarket timing tools starting to appear for ACT belts for big money. The water pumps are on the other side of the engine driven by a small belt off the cam so they aren't done with timing belt like normal and are often overlooked, they don't need replacing until they start to leak. New genuine pump and belt is about €250 from the dealer, I do a fair few of them. The 1.4tsi with ACT 150bhp is certainly an engine I'd recommend but there aren't many for sale, most are 1.5 or diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭littlevillage

As usual this thread has gone down a rabbit hole.

OP... What years are these cars you are focusing on and what kind of budget do you have in mind. Furnished with that knowledge, posters might be better able to advise you.... and maybe even suggest some other worthy alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭User1998

1.6 Petrol Passat suggests 15+ year old cars.. yet its almost new cars that are being discussed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,314 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, you need to share the car years you are looking at as well as your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Sorry everyone. Yeah it'll be an old enough car. 2010 to 2015, as budget only allows this. Budget is max 7k. I've seen these cars in that range.

I would rather buy from a dealer, which offers a warranty, even if only 3 months, of which I have seen online. I've been stung in the past by going private, no comeback etc.

Im looking for a spacious car. Low tax band, reliable. I've looked at auris, corolla, new shape astra, all petrol, all too small for us inside. As have 2 children, and would like a decent size boot, for the dog etc.

I like the size of a Passat, have driven a diesel version before. But are the petrols troublesome?

I have driven qashqui before in diesel version, herself really likes them. But are the petrol versions ok.

I have never driven an avensis, but they look a good sized car, and I've been told if going petrol, go jap/ Toyota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Prius is your only man by the sounds of your driving and needs OP. Loads of them within budget for you on DoneDeal at a quick glance.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Prius? Never thought of those. I'll have a look thanks for the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,314 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dealer warranties on cars of that age and value won't cover much irrespective of it being 3 months or not. You will be paying mostly the dealer's profit margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Very good and reliable car. I’m on my second one.

Ignore the online hate and pub talk about them. Toyota hasn’t sold millions of them for over 20 years because that BS is true.

Well worth a test drive.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Advertisement