Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoopid question

• 04-10-2024 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

I turn 50 next March 31st. I do a lot of running and a few lifting sessions per week in my shed.

I have a notion that I'd like to run a sub 5 min mile, a 100kg bench press and a 14x deadlift(2xbw) on my Birthday.

The mile shouldn't be a problem. I can deadlift(trap bar) 110kg 5 reps at moment so I feel a 150 deadlift should be possible with focused training post Dublin Marathon at the end of this month.

My issue is really with BP which is fairly pathetic. I can do 8 reps of 55kg 5 reps of 59 and maybe 2/3 at 63kg. These are without a spotter. I'm thinking 100kg is out of the question? What would be a realistic target? Any thoughts on a similar alternative challenge?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Build smooth muscle rather than bulk. Add reps not weight.

5 minute mile would be grand, but if you are training for marathon, add distance rather than speed to workouts. Develop consistent stride and breathing cycle you don’t break, even if someone passes you. Add an incremental distance increase each training day until you reach your marathon goal at the same stride and breath cycles.

Of course, this is what I do with weights, and when attempting to increase my running distance without blowing out. Everyone is different in terms of needs.

I am also big on stretching before and after workouts. If not you may increase your likelihood of injury. Cheers, Swannie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What is "smooth muscle"? And why add reps instead of weight? If the goal is a 100kg bench then no amount of reps at 55kg will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I presumed what he meant was moving up weight gradually rather than over reaching? Ie getting to 8-12 reps of 55 before progressing to heavier weight.

My problem is I progress so slowly I can't see megetting to 70kg let alone anywhere near 100. Still I'll see what I can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The mile will depend on your current 3-5km ability. What’s your 5km time? Prob need to have that down under 17mins.

BP is a higher bar than deadlift. 100kg is more like a 160kg deadlift. That’s assuming it’s a straight bar deadlift not trap bar which is not a proper deadlift as it’s easier.

If that’s what he meant, it was bad advice. If you want to lift 60kg, you dint need 12 reps of 55kg.

Smooth muscle vrs bulk? ??

• Advertisement

It's a trap bar I'll be using. I know it's easier but I don't mind that so much. I'll be grand for the run, I've ran 4.30 in the past so know what's needed there. I'm about 70kgs would I need to increase body weight to hid lift targets or could I do it at current weight do you think]?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Cill94

This is utter nonsense.

Hard to say what to do with the bench without having an idea of your current programme.

2-3 bench sessions a week and gaining some muscle will help, although you’d have to see what effect that will have on your runs.

You’d want to make sure at least one of those bench sessions gets you practicing weights that will carry over to a 1RM. Like sets of 2-3 or so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Well, I'll only mention the bench, since the rest of it is pretty much covered above, one way or the other.

If you're currently 70-75kg bodyweight, and you are estimating your current bench 2 or 3RM is less than that, then I think the odds of getting 100kg, for 1RM, by the end of March 2025, is probably very low.

If you want a more achievable target, then it could be something to do your bodyweight for max reps. And try to beat that, the following year, or retain it etc.

If you can't currently bench bodyweight, then getting to that, and then repping it out, is probably going to still be ample challenge between now and the end of next March.

With regard to your current bench numbers… It's a lift that lags in some people, relative to their squats, deadlifts and pulls, myself included. There may be no single reason why. The 'checklist' I've heard, over the years, some of which may apply (or not), goes something like-

• Lack of overall upper body mass, but specifically weak points could be chest (failing at bottom position), triceps (failing towards lock out) and potentially people will even say it's down to upper back and other things, hard to say
    • Lack of practice, I do think if you want to increase bench you probably need to bench twice a week, maybe once heavy and once dynamic or more submaximal and just for practice
    • **** technique, although fixing significant errors might add 5-10kg to a bench I've never seen it add 25kg plus…
    • Completely anecdotal here, but I'm convinced that people who started benching relatively later in life will always tend to lag compared to people who began building their bench in their teens. Again, completely anecdotal, but I've seen it enough now that I really think it's a factor. For whatever reason, starting squatting and deadlifting later just isn't the same bar to ending up with good numbers.

I used various powerlifting style blocks of 12 weeks to try to peak to a heavier bench, versions of programmes like Heavy Light Medium, Texas method etc. I did see progress here, but what got me to my biggest bench ever was conjugate style training, which was quite radical in its approach. Whatever you do, it's a matter of consistency and working hard at it, without injuring a shoulder.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

That's very informative and helpful. What you're saying makes good sense. I do think 100kg is beyond me particularly in that time frame. I picked it because it's round and you're right a number related to body weight is probably a better idea. Lots of food for thought, thank you.

• Advertisement

90kg would be more achievable. And about equal to a 150kg Deadlift.
    You'd want to work up to a 80kg x 5 and 135kg x 5 for each. You are still close on DL due to the trap bar. Could lower the bench target to make them similar, say 75kg/body weight for 5.

The strongest correlation I’ve observed is body weight. On average, guys who can bench 1.5 - 2x their bodyweight or more, tend to have significantly more muscle mass.

I think training bench more frequently can help, but I would guess to a lesser extent, as you’re just doing it to make the muscle you already have more efficient at executing the movement with heavy weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Bench press ability depends a lot on the individuals skeletal structure. I don't like it at all and never perform barbell bench press. Arnold was never a fan of it either, said it's too much front delts. His training partner Franco Columbo swore by it as the best chest exercise. I do flat flys, Incline dumb press, flat bench machine press, dips. If you have long arms as I do it really may not suit you at all.

I think this assumes that the OP is a bodybuilder. They might just want to bench for the goal of having a stronger bench.

Also the disadvantage of having longer arms is the same whether you are pressing a barbell, dumbbells, machines etc. The implement still has to travel essentially the same distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Agree about the comment that flat bench press for most people ends up.working their front delts. I much prefer incline barbell press or dumbbell press to directly work the chest. Cable flys are another great exercise if done right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Dunno... We don't need to look past sticking points to see where failure mostly occurs on the bench.. and it's almost always down to larger movers -- chest or triceps. I can't say I've ever gone "yeah, weak front delts", which would be relevant if they really were doing all this work...

As far as incline bench goes.. a lot of people would say they're MORE anterior delt and upper pec, not less.

I’m curious as to what your “bench = working front delts” is based on?” The classic view is that incline bench hit shoulders more, and standing press more again.

Nobody is benching 140kg+ with their dents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

I think the incline barbell press puts more stress on your upper pecs so you can hit it more.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7449336/

Chest growth in lower and mid portion of the pecs was the same in flat and incline bench groups.

Incline bench works the upper chest more, but it also uses more shoulders. Only way of isolating the chest is with a flye, and even then you will have some work placed on the biceps and shoulders.

It hits upper chest more and also shoulders more. Which is why I asked what you based flat bench = front delts on? As that contradicts general idea of incline bench.

I’d also question the logic of you can do it more. I don’t think upper chest can take volume any differently to chest, but I don’t think shoulders are particularly robust in terms of volume.

• Advertisement
Advertisement