Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital Aerial Tuner Query - UK and Irish Channels

• 07-10-2024 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all, i was recently in a hotel in Carrick on shannon that appeared to have the channels coming in via a digital aerial. It had the saorview channels and some of the uk channels only ( some BBC, some ITV, C4, C5, etc) but not all the channels that might potentially be available in uk from an aerial eg no ITV plus channels or others

I tried to manually tune in some additional channels ( just for the craic to see if i could) but only the same certain number of channels would come in on an auto scan and a manual scan - the same select few channels.

Just wondering out of curiosity why this might be?

There did not appear to be a satellite feed as such , just an aerial - so im curious why the other uk channels might not tune in if some of them did?

Im assuming a close location to the border was why some came in via aerial in the first place?

would welcome anybody who might know why this might be?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Glaceon

A lot of hotels and B&Bs have internal distribution systems, effectively small cable TV networks. These would carry the channels in-band so would be picked up on a standard terrestrial TV tuner without the need for a separate box.

They would almost certainly be sourcing the UK channels from satellite, I was in a hotel last December which had the SD closedown banner on BBC One.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DK1981

Thanks for the reply. Ok that makes sense - you would think then if they did use a satellite, they would tune in the 50-100 channels that would be available. Maye its just ease at their end - they tuned in a select few and didn't bother with the rest - even if they could get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Would they not just pick them up from both the Saorview and Freeview (NI) transmitters? For example I get the Saorview channels plus Freeview channels with a single aerial. The Freeview comes from the transmitter in Strabane which is known as Freeview Lite but the array of channels available is limited compared to other transmitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Not really, it comes down to cost. A lot of these systems are still analogue, so they'd need one modulator per channel. DVB-T ones exist but are expensive. This would be one of the big reasons why analogue tuners still exist in TVs.

If you can get a Freeview signal, it would certainly make more sense to just feed both around and not bother with the distribution system at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Rippy

It all comes down to bandwidth if they are using satellite for UK channels. A typical digital head-end used in a hotel has an output of 4 adjacent MUXs. Each can call carry 4-6 low standard definition channels (depending on their compression and resolution), or 2 HD channels and a few radio channels. As the major UK broadcasters move to HD only, the number of channels that can be carried on the system decreases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I remember scanning an Arriva and picking up UK channels on Saorview scan . Skerries location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This is why there's hotel mode on TVs, so guests don't go around retuning the hotels' TVs 😁

Most likely picking up the Freeview overspill signal from NI. The channels being received dependant on the signal strength of the respective mux/frequency.

How were the Saorview and Freeview channels stored, i.e. what channel was on LCN 1, RTÉ 1 or BBC 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DK1981

rte 1 was first channel and then bbc kicked in maybe around channel 8 or 9 - but probably only was about 15-20 channels in total.

actually had to google how to get out of hotel mode to try the tuning!

was really only curious about the whole thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Where were the Saorview+1 channels?

They may be using some sort of DVB-T modulator setup that allocates LCNs to the channels internally .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭Shoog

Not in Carrick on Shannon. Freeview has zero reception.

• Advertisement
Advertisement