Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Espresso Machine/Grinder Ideas

• 08-10-2024 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Hi folks - on the search for a new setup as a Christmas gift to ourselves and not sure where to start looking. Have a few ideas of things we like, but nothing concrete so hoping to get some ideas.

What We Have

We currently have a Gaggia Classic and a Sage Grinder Pro. I bought the Gaggia maybe 13 years ago (second hand!) and have had the grinder for maybe 5 or 6 years. I know the Gaggia inside out at this stage with the usual replacements - changing out thermostats, OPV valves, seals etc and it's been a real workhorse.

I probably make 4-6 milky drinks (flat white/mocha) per day in groups of 2 (morning/late morning/afternoon).

Why Upgrade

To be honest, there's nothing really wrong with the setup - the steam valve is weeping a little, but otherwise it's works the same now as it always did. I considered the PID upgrade, but I couldn't be arsed. Apart from cleaning the grinder periodically, it just does it's thing. We're just interested in upgrading a little. I would like a little more control to fine tune shots though - things like the PID and pressure gauge would be nice. Worth noting that we don't really upgrade often, so not really interested in a "get this for now and then upgrade down the line" type thing.

Thoughts So Far

We started looking at combined espresso/grinder machines (I know, I know), and I've had the Lelit Anita with PID in mind for the longest time - can be gotten for about €650 delivered. I know getting a combined machine is typically not suggested as a good route, but that's usually with upgrading down the line in mind which we just won't really be bothered with. It looks to have enough feature upgrades to keep me interested, and it's a tidy looking machine I'd be happy to have sitting on the counter. As with all combined machines, the grinder is typically the weak spot, but from what I can gather it's plenty good but obviously won't stand up alongside grinders which are the same price as this whole machine (which I'm fine with as long as I can pull quality shots of espresso).

When looking a little deeper recently, I liked the look of the Lelit Kate and the features it offers over the Anita. I use timed grinding on the Sage grinder currently and I like that flow - calibrate it every few days, but just let the timer do it's thing in the meantime to keep things quick and easy. It also has 58mm portafilter so can use with accessories I have already (not really a big deal). These are about €1060 quid delivered, and now that I'm typing it out, maybe enough of an upgrade over the Anita for the extra €400.

Ideas?

So I'm not really settled on anything as such - is there anything we should be considering otherwise that's not on our radar? Any thoughts on both of those machines or others we should be looking at? Budget is about 1k I guess give or take. Not tied specifically to combination machines either - they're just 2 that caught my eye.

Post edited by Bawnmore on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I graduated from a Gaggia Classic a few years ago to a Rocket Appartamento. I’m thinking of selling the Rocket if you’re interested? PMO. I have descaled and maintained it religiously.

If I decide to put it up for sale it will go on Adverts.ie with a link here obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

They're really lovely - I'll shoot you a quick PM, but we're thinking more along the lines of a new machine this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Separately, I had a great chat with a guy who sells coffee machines today that opened my eyes a little. He wasn't as keen on the quality of the lower end Lelits, and suggested it was worth looking into Profitecs as an alternative. Some of the machines he suggested were:

• Profitec GO: from some quick research, this seems as solid a single boiler espresso machine as they come. Comes with PID/Pressure Gauge etc also which are the main things I'm interested in.
    • Profitec Pro 400: heat exchange machine. He was saying this might be good for our use case (99% milky drinks and steam available immediately) but wouldn't be as accurate temperature wise as a single boiler/double boiler if we were chasing a perfect espresso. Would mean going over budget and keeping our grinder. PID + pressure gauge here also.
    • Profitic Pro 300: dual boiler - probably the best of the lot, but a good bit further over budget. Would mean going over budget and keeping our grinder. PID + pressure gauge here also.

Advertisement