Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get a replacement tv power supply

• 11-10-2024 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I have an old Playsonic tv/dvd combi television that is missing its power supply cable.

The back of the tv states:

Playsonic LCD TV

Model No: PSEXS22LCDVD

Power Supply:DC 12V --= 5A < = 60W

I searched on amazon and see the one below but I dont know anything about this kind of thing. Will this one work??

DTK 12V 5A 60W Mains AC Adapter Charger Power Supply for LCD TFT Monitors TVs DVD and other Equipments Power Cord Connector size: 5.5mm X 2.5mm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,541 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

On voltage (12V) and maximum current (5A), it looks like it will match the requirements of the TV but you need to verify the polarity - that the positive and negative connections on the cylindrical plug that goes into the TV are the right way around.

Look at the AC adapter - the 'brick' in your picture and study the symbol to the left of 'Output xxx 12V xx 5A' - that needs to exactly match the same symbol on the input socket of the TV. What the symbol on the AC adapter in the picture indicates is that the outside of the plug (the visible silver sleeve) is negative and the inner core is positive. Check for a similar symbol near the power input socket on the TV and make sure it's the same layout.

You also need to verify that the plug is the right size and will snugly fit into the socket on the TV. Without the original plug, I'm not sure how you can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pleh

>>Check for a similar symbol near the power input socket on the TV and make sure it's the same layout

I can't see any print near where the supply goes in apart from the word 'power' :(

Heres a couple of pics of back of TV

Can't help you then. The Expert Ireland chain of electrical stores used to sell Paysonic appliances, they even had a Playsonic appliances brochure with their logo back in 2012 (link below) but it didn't include any TVs.

https://shomar.ie/uploads/Playsonic_Brochure_A4_20111.pdf

Your only hope would be to visit one of their shops and ask if they had any spares for your model. Which pops up on the web in lots of places but only to offer a generic remote control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Around 90% of power supplies have the shield as negative and tip as positive, ie, this logo:

I'd say that you'd be safe enough with that PSU from Amazon as it's also 2.5/5.5mm. I can't obviously guarantee it, but I'd be quite confident of it.

The sizes (2.5/5.5 mm) quoted by the OP came from the advertised specs. of the unit he found on Amazon - I'm not sure of the context of the 'also' you used. I don't believe the OP knows the dimensions of the plug he needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Radionics Ireland

rsonline.ie ?

Get the part number off the PSU.

Worth a try.

Yes, aware of that, but 2.5/5.5 is the most common spec for barrel connectors. I did also Google the adapter and TV and didn't find more info - this is just best-effort support. 😀

Like 10-10-20 above, I tried all over the place. Plenty of parts sites pretend they recognise the make and model but nearly every search ends with you looking at one item - a generic TV remote control.

Darth Randomer

^^^ pretend is the operative here in this context, coyle mate in components sector here. This is why I now have a dozen dead credit card sized boards that were once raspberry pi computers

You made bad choices and let the magic smoke out? 😁

• Advertisement
    Darth Randomer

The new crop of raspberry pi's are now a ripped off here. Also, there is better use to be made of thins like micro SD cards.

But, to have my raspberry pi computers go out with a bang with a crp micro SD card the magic smoke might be a stretch goal

Advertisement