Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think our tipping culture changed?

• 11-10-2024 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭

I was reading about American tipping culture and how it changed over time. Would you say things have changed here too? When I think about it, I do notice that I tip in more situations than ten years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No.

I pay for the meal, its not up to me to to top up an employees salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I honestly can say my tipping has changed in that I'm reluctant to just tip automatically now and will only do it when I feel it has been earned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Charlo30

Being the absolutely great guy that I am. I tip often and generously:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It's not that difficult. Tip if you want if not don't bother. There are places who are putting on service charges as a defacto tip. That should be looked at and some staff are getting fleeced sometimes but other than that people overthink it and this topic really has been done to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I like to tip, but will always try to give it directly to my server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,008 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

not here, I just tip waiting staff in restaurants as has always been tradition and occasionally when I was a regular regular pub goer I’d tip my favourite barman in the local, just leave money on the table for him to buy a pint there after work as I know one night a week a couple of staff stay back after work for a pint or two…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭Homelander

I will tip if the meal is good and service is good.

But this US idea that you're a degenerate piece of human trash if you don't tip on a base level even if you get served a turd sandwich is ridiculous.

Because we have a strong minimum wage.

It has to be one of the most spectacular cons in history that the US public are brainwashed into thinking someone who doesn't tip is the problem as opposed to the fantastically rich companies refusing to pay them.

They're laughing all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭L Grey

I used to tip food delivery drivers until i noticed increased service and delivery charges.

I know it's not the drivers doing but fk paying even more after paying sneaky increases in charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think it's reached tipping point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭yagan

Not a hope. Wages should be part of the advertised cost of service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,678 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No tipping, if you don't earn enough move jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭thegetawaycar

I do tip but I find it crazy service work here expects tips. I went for a meal recently, went to pay by card and the screen asks immediately tip amount, pre-programmed to 12, 15, 20 percent or "other" and select the amount.

Unlike the US we have a very large minimum wage for service workers and adding 12% onto the price of already expensive food (which covers their wages) is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I honestly don't like the practice here, you can call me tight or whatever but staff are paid enough vs America. I was out the other night, meal was €62 something, gave them €65 and put the change in the jar, thats the extent of my tipping now. Its expensive enough to eat out as is.

Myself and friends were talking about this recently, one said he will tip €10 on a €50 bill and €20 on €100. Thats 20% I think that's too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The newer machines that have the suggested tips with 'no tip' at the bottom are becoming more prevelent recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭yagan

Any business whose employees depend on tips should be shut down.

They're not charities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I used to tip 10% as a rule but now I often go a bit below it as costs are a good bit higher.

Sometimes I get really annoyed at service as well and I won't tip then. Nothing annoys me more in a restaurant then a waiter walking around looking at their shoes and refusing to check on tables. If I have to shout at you to get attention because you've refused to look over at us then you're probably not getting a tip from me.

This is a management problem too though. Wait staff are not trained properly here. Say what you want about the US tipping culture, but at least it leads to an industry that cares about customer service beyond what we get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Does anyone have the perspective of a server on here? Do most people tip in Ireland?
    Do you expect it?

I tip 10% and service would have to be really bad for me to not tip.

I think a lot of people here tip simply because they don't want to be thought of badly by their server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I think you're projecting there quite a bit. How do you come by the premise that a lot only tip so as not to be thought badly of? I've never heard anybody use that as a reason for tipping.

I've a couple of nieces who wait table (they hate being called servers btw) and they say that while they like getting tips they don't rely on them and generally don't know what customers left or didn't leave tips, as it's generally done when they're paying the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The last tip I left was a note … on a piece of paper saying 'if your wern't so slow I would have paid the gratuity'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I order with the barcode on the menu and tip before I receive my order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

This isn't America, tipping isn't necessary. That being said, I do have personal rules around tipping.

I never tip when eating anything before 6 o'clock, it's either a quickly whipped up lunch menu or the early bird getting rid of the stuff not used form the night before. It's also very rarely, if ever, expected.

If the dinner is good, the service was good and not too interfere-y and no service charge - I tip, they've earned it.

If either the dinner is ok/bad, the service was too interfere-y - No tip.

Any place with a service charge/gratuity - I assume that's the tip, so no tip. I also don't return to that restaurant, charging for food and then a tip for service afterwards, is one thing, charging for simply choosing to eat there is another.

If I haven't paid for the dinner (eg company dinner) - Pay a tip of some sort as a thank you.

As I said, it's not America, so no, it's not required to tip, I do so merely as a thank you for a good/free meal, and that's good enough for me. Also any tip goes in the communal jar, everyone helped, so everyone gets the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If I get served by more than 1 person, I won't tip. I tip at times and other times I dont if I dont feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm not a big tipper , but it usually depends on service , if I get good service I'll tip , might be a euro or 2 if I've been for coffee and cake , maybe a 5 if we've been for a meal

Trained staff get better tips - they do the job properly+ efficiently, and really add to the meal experience - but how many places do you go these days with trained waiting staff .. market lane in cork would be one of the few I can think of ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭chrissb8

If it isn't asked for and the service has been good then yeah, sure why not. Only in restaurants though because my thinking is I'm drinking and eating away, what is the cost of one more drink in someone's pocket for being a great service to me tonight. Cool, all good.

But don't ask me at a coffee shop, or a cafe or really anywhere that isn't providing a demanding experience. Giving me a coffee and a sandwich is of no effort and even the food is made by one person. It's not on at all.

The staff have been so bad since the pandemic has ended I have found myself not giving a tip at all. Forgotten parts of the order, giving me this instead of that, long waits, orders just forgotten to be put through.

This is going to sound bad but it's very young people generally who have such poor attention spans. Not their fault, just the instant gratification and now now nature of their generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's definitely harder to tip nowadays, I rarely seem to have cash in my pocket anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I tip the barman in my local if I am in the there a couple of times over the weekend.

I give him the price of pint , guarantees me anytime i walk in the door and its busy, one glance at each other and I am guaranteed a pint coming my way very quickly, well worth it .

As for tipping in restaurants, i have reduced it significantly unless the server is friendly, the meals out are pricey .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I agree, there are certain strategic tips that have benefits. Ie bar staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I used to tip delivery drivers fairly well since their work was fueling my laziness, But it's north of 4 euro delivery in a lot of places now, delivery and tip could end up adding 50% onto my meal, So i'm infinitely more selective now.

Ordered a pint in a sports bar a week or so ago, he handed me the card machine with the tip screen.

"You have 3 options there"

Stared directly at him as I hit no tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭claregal1

I tip my hairdresser and nail technician 5 euros each time but going to have to reconsider it as they keep putting up their prices. Same with with dog groomer. Normally tip if out for dinner but not if out for lunch. Always tip my delivery driver, 2 -3 euros as she is always fast and delivers with a smile and is always thankful for it.

If you already tip your nail technician you will probably have to keep tipping them. Otherwise they will wonder why you aren't still tipping. If you never tipped then you would be ok but it looks strange to suddenly stop tipping, they will likely resent it and wont do you any favors in future. I always tip my barber and he always sees me 1 hour before he normally starts work, if I didnt tip him, I know he wouldnt do me the favor of starting early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭claregal1

Oh I know. I used to get my nails done every 3 weeks, used to be 30 and then 5 tip. It's now 45 with 5 tip, so 50 so I'm only getting them done every 6 weeks now.....just can't justify the 50 every 3 weeks....

I can see why businesses are raising their prices, they have to because the costs of doing business are increasing. im in a business where they usually raise the prices every 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What is the logic behind tipping a percentage.

So 10% of a main for a burger will cost you €1.20 to €2 at most whist 10% of a filet steak in a fine dining restaurant wil cost you €4-6 depending where you are for effectively the exact same thing from your server.

Same if you order a bottle of wine price of the wine determines the reward whilst the process is the exact same.

It's non-nonsensical American rubbish and should not be in Ireland. I round to nearest fiver as thank you and that's enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What favour can a nail technician or barber do for you? Bring you home, cook your dinner?

These justifications for tipping are ridiculous.

You can simply say "Sorry, stopped tipping as the service has gone more expensive."

Seriously what do you think you're paying for with a barber or nail technician?

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I used to tip the delivery drivers from my local chinese takeaway until one of the lads told me they get the full delivery charge. I don't know if that's common, but I don't tip them since then. The delivery charge is €3 / €3.50 (not sure. Used to be €2 pre-pandemic).

I would leave a tip for waiting staff in a restaurant, as I believe its a tough enough job for not great pay.

Advertisement