Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confirmation of marital status from Irish gov

• 15-10-2024 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi, this one is a bit complicated but I am hoping that someone (maybe, hopefully) was in the same position and can shed some light.

I used to live in Ireland quite a few years ago for about a decade alltogether. I never became an Irish citizen. Now I am living in a new country for quite some time(all in EU, also to clarify I'm from an EU country). My fiance and I want to get married but the goverment insists that I present some sort of paper from Ireland that I never got married within those 10 years I spent here. Which is fair enough.

I spoke to a very nice lady today in citizen information and she said I need a Certificate of Freedom to Marry. This seems rather OTT and (I might be wrong here!) intended more for Irish citizens or people who reside here somewhat permanently. Which is obv. not my case. Also I checked the online form for said Certificate and it requires I provide dates for the wedding (we are in the early stages of collecting information about the documents as I will need to have some from my own country) and the name of the person who will be leading the ceremony(like wth???).
    I just need a piece of paper that states that for those 10 years in the past, I have been single as far as Irish goverment is concerned. Has anyone been in a similar position? Did you have to get this specific certificate? Or do you know about a document that would better suit my case?
    Thanks in advance for any hints!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Aseth

Hi Mods, I have found an answer to my problem so feel free to close the thread. If anyone is curious the document is called 'No Trace' letter. Thank you!

Advertisement