Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nighttime visitor

• 16-10-2024 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

What in the world type of spider is this. The toilet roll was brand new and full.. This was a big guy.. Not what you want to see at 4am...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's just a common house spider. Native to Ireland and absolutely nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Really.. That size? Never saw one like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just don't wipe your *** with it.

Yep. My rule is that if they have a face you can actually see, they get a name and gently scooped outside. Otherwise I just leave them where they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could you sell them on DoneDeal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,669 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Citroen2cv

This site has some bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭Archeron

I see those ones quite a lot. Now and then we make eye contact and there's an unspoken agreement that we both look away, pretend it never happened, go about your life and when you look back they're gone.

If it helps, when he sees you've spotted him, he thinks "oh bollix" as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I managed to put him out the window.. Once I got my glasses to verify it wasn't a cat or something. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ah you’re lucky . I still haven’t caught whatever was scratching on my ceiling .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭JVince

I'm rural and see far too many of these for my liking.

Though their prevalence means I'm less phobic than I used to be when living in Dublin.

Ugly feckers - deserve to be squashed

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭quodec

Don't squash them - they're harmless and its considered unlucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

We don’t live in Australia . The spider will do you no harm , just put it out side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

THe only good spider is a dead spider.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE???!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭L Grey

What type of dog is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Markcheese

My parents house has loads of these and bigger , always did when I was a kid ,

Luckily my house doesn't, or my girlfriend would have emigrated by now - as it is she's hanging on by a thread 🤔

her view is squish first , ask later ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,008 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I never got the spider fear thing, one’s here can’t harm you,so just bit of card, glass, open window / door… gone. a person can sit with a cat on their lap that if cat wanted can scrape, scratch and bite you it would or could whilst a spider here, can’t.

Speaking of cats.. only nighttime visitor was the neighbours cat going on and off the car and hissing and meowing but haven’t heard it for a bit. it must have another playground…Problem was the neighbours who own it never got the cat regular claw trims which is meant to be done every few weeks, both for the cats own health and so stuff it interacts with like other peoples cars don’t get scratched up. They be oddball hippy enviro types , (looking at them they escaped from a circus or zoo), who notoriously dislike spending money, or making personal efforts for well, anything , cheap lazy assholes so i doubt the cat gets any regular health interventions at all.

Saw a few foxes around when the place was quieter during the pandemic. Impressive animals….Nothing for a few months now….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭TokTik

Seen a few of them around the house recently. None survived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I believe that may be sentencing poor Boris to death. A lot of house spiders won't survive outside in Ireland due to temperature/predators. When the spiders come for us, you may be made an example of, DH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In the last few years I've seen a fair few outside the house that I suspected were false widows, sort of bulbous shiny back end with yellow or white colouring through it, gave them a wide berth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Agree because I hate all kinds of spiders, but can't do the deed myself. Only way is to try and keep them out of the house in the first place. Plain white vinegar around the windows helps a bit, but if anyone knows a foolproof method, please please post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You may as well have just killed it there and then as put it outside. It's called a house spider for a reason. They can't survive outdoors.

Ah here! I put them outside assuming they'll simply come straight back in anyway. There are self-confessed squishers here, they'll be first in line when Aragog and his offspring rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Yeah, quite common. They can be squished. Native spiders should be left alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'll just have to convince myself that due to global warming that those countless spiders I've set "free" are fine and living their best lives!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Take your loved ones/valuables and burn the house to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 Ass man

Get some radiation, force a bite, bingo! Radiation poisoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'll be honest I never heard of catching them and carrying them outside until a couple of years ago when I squished one in my friends mothers house. The mother didn't look at all impressed I didn't bring it out the back alive. I'll make sure to call bear Grylls the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I had one just like this in the bathroom. There was a news item recently warning folk to keep their windows closed as it's spider season. The reason this was in my bathroom was that I forgot to put the plug in the bath, that's where they get in. I hate spiders, creepies and slitherers with a vengeance and normally run a mile, but as I was alone (Sir Lancelot was out) I had to catch the monster and return him to the wild myself. I keep a glass and a card in every room in the house for these occasions.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/people-advised-shut-windows-peak-29777999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's an old wife's tale. House spiders cannot and do not swim up a water pipe. They fall in to the bath and can't climb back out due to the sides of the baths being too slippery.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Space Dog

House spiders are already in your house, you just see more of them when it's mating season and the males are looking for a female. Usually they stay hidden so you don't notice as many..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Ah the annual panic and scare mongering. It's like Clock Work really and the click bait "news" sites love it.

Interesting how the article claims "Residents are being warned". Yet somehow it never mentions who issued any kind of warning. It was probably the news paper editor who ordered the article writer to warn people.

It also tries to describe a "harrowing" experience one mother had of "11 hours" in hospital. Note however it did not mention a single bad effect the child had in that 11 hours as the "venom wore off". What likely happened was she went to the emergency room in a panic and they allowed her and the child to sit there for 11 hours for observation just in case. How you word stuff can make it sound worse than it was. My toddler swallowed super glue once and we went to the hospital just in case and were told to hang around for a few hours incase the drying of the clue suddenly caused any windpipes to close up. "Father in harrowing 4 hours hospital visit after child swallowed super glue" I guess :)

The article closes with a link to a website about the spider. In the FAQ on that website it appears the best the website can do is note that "to date" (what, since records began??) there have been 16 people who went to hospital with such bites and only 1 seemed all that notable. Wasp stings likely have much worse statistics than that and probably peanuts too.

I post this video every year when the topic of the False Widow comes up. It can tell you pretty much all you'd want to know about them and identifying them and about their bite and so on:

youtube.com/watch?v=-RtXsXpvSSw

Also discusses what to do if you want to get rid of them and how people who want to kill them tend to misidentify them and end up killing a lot of the native species instead.

All in all the articles recommendation to go all over your house plugging up the gaps and holes - let alone absolute nonsense urban legends that they are coming up drain pipes at you - is guff and you can probably get on with your life. There is likely also a lot more spiders in any given house than you think there are (especially the people who think they have none). There is probably also a lot more insects you do not want in your house than you think like wood lice. Insects which your friendly helpful spiders are eating for you.

In fact the only advice really worth giving/taking on the matter is to maybe shake out your clothes before putting them on. But spiders or nay that's probably not a bad idea anyway and a fairly decent habit to get into. Get the dust and some of the creases out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭beachhead

Click bait post about something normal. But the mass murderers can vent

Advertisement