Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anything to lookout for when buying a house in an estate with a management company ?

• 19-10-2024 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6

Buying a house in an estate and was told there are management fees (which I have no problem with). I admit I wrongly assumed management fees are mostly tied to apartments.

The question I would like to know is: are there things to be wary of? For example, what do you wish you knew before buying a house in an estate with a management company? As far as I know, according to the maps, this is a freehold property. Sorry in advance if this sounds like an ignorant question; I just need to gather as much information as I can to make an informed decision

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'd be wary of the fact there is a management company. 50 quid for grass cutting collected annually by a couple volunteers is all we have. What else would there be? I may be ignorant here admittedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Might be an electric gate to get in? Nice for a bit of added security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Any developments in most of the 2000s had a management company requirement in the planning permission. Saves the councils a fortune.

Are there only houses in the development or are there apartments too? I live in a mixed development where own door units (whether houses, duplexes or apartments) subsidise shared entrance services like communal area cleaning and fire services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Parking and parking spaces likely a problematic area worth checking out - especially if you plan on inviting a number of friends over - indeed I’ve seen some new estates banning BBQs amongst other things so really I’d knock on a few doors until someone shares the rules and regulations with you - and also check what are the key pain points - expect to be paying anything up to 2-3k a year over time too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Is it a management company or a management committee?

If it's a committee you should be fine, it'll most likely be some professionals volunteering their expertise to safeguard their investments, if it's a company then you'd be well advised to read the small print and do the numbers.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Proportion of the estate owned by one party, eg a social housing company. If its more than 50%, they control everything.

Is the estate taken in charge bybthe council yet. If not, will it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Freddiestar

I live in a house in a mixed development. It is well run with landscaping, security etc but as a house owner you will get shafted because most of the funds go towards apartment block maintenance like lifts and indoor common areas which you, as a house owner will not benefit from.

You will likely have some insurance and bins covered but you will pay more in management fees than what this would cost independently.

Advertisement