Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your WiFi network is not secure

• 19-10-2024 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I've been ignoring this message which I get once a day since I switched to from Imagine to Vodafone. But now I've got a new laptop, and the WiFi keeps cuttign out. As in being told there are no connections where there clearly are. Then when the WiFi comes back, this message pops up. So I'm getting the message hundreds of times per days.

When I clicked on some "find out more" thing, bizarrely it reads as follows:

"To fix this issue, do one of the following:

•if there's another WiFi network that's in range that you recognise and trust, connect to it"

•consider changing the security that your router or access point uses. You can do this by signing into your router using software...

•consider getting a new router"

The first option there is basically saying that you should use your neighbours WiFi from now on! The other two options sound like a whole load of work. But is there not an option where you can tell it to f off and that you'll take your chances?

What can I do? Any help would be appreciated. Please please please, explain it to me like I'm five.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭styron

It's likely you have the wrong security type on the laptop it should be WPA2-Personal matching the vodafone router (presuming you're not still on the Imagine one). Without this right protocol the network name and security key you've been given won't work.

The instructions you mentioned are originally Microsoft's - it'd diagnostic nothing sinister or suggesting pirating your neighbours. If you see other networks and can log on, the laptop & OS aren't the issue - if your network name is broadcast with others, more likely a wireless security configuration between router and laptop than router failure (no red light for the line led on the router, either?).

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Will Graham

So does that mean you're sure that Vodafone has wpa-2?? Do I just have to change laptop security type? How do I do that? There's no networks in the area to be seen unless I set up a hot spot.

EDIT - Set up hotspot there, and yes it can be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭styron

I'm on Vodafone broadband and it's wpa 2 - personal (aka AES)

Get to it through Network and Sharing - click access type connection (should be vodafone wi-fi with your network name)

hit wireless properties button and then the security tab to alter security type and network key if required and click OK

Advertisement