Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone see the "Bargains" from Currys?

• 29-11-2004 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

I've seen that leaflet that Currys have put in a few of the papers. I'm wondering how are they getting away with calling some of the crap that they are selling "half price".
    Examples from my head:

A Packard Bell media jukebox with a massive 512 mb of memory.
    Was E300, now E150. WTF??? You can get a 4gig ipod for less than E300.

Goodmans personal cd player
    Was E60, now E30. I've barely seen a goodmans tv go for more than E60 never mind a tacky little cd player.

Hitachi Micro system.
    Was E240, now E120. Don't get me wrong, Hitachi make great HiMacs and even great Tv's but who would pay E240 for a micro system? Afaik the Sony micro systems aren't even that expensive.

Whats happening here? How is this shower of knackers getting away with advertising bargains like this when they are only charging relatively normal prices when they are half price?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

My guess these are items that are old and have been overpriced for too long.. they are trying to get rid.. probably not breaking any laws since they probably have been that price...

On the mp3 thingy.. you sure its not 512 of flash mem and not a hdd based player like an IPOD?? That would make it more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Saruman wrote:
    On the mp3 thingy.. you sure its not 512 of flash mem and not a hdd based player like an IPOD?? That would make it more expensive.

Its defo 512mb flash memory.

I was thinking that they left them overpriced but at the same time I cant even imagine that these products were initially that price. Even 3 years ago a 512mb player wouldn't cost E300.

AFAIK you have to have a product displayed at a certain price for 3 months before you can claim it was that price and has been reduced. The snakes must have worked around this somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

its currys ffs what did ye expect anything less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Linoge wrote:
    Its defo 512mb flash memory.

I was thinking that they left them overpriced but at the same time I cant even imagine that these products were initially that price. Even 3 years ago a 512mb player wouldn't cost E300.

AFAIK you have to have a product displayed at a certain price for 3 months before you can claim it was that price and has been reduced. The snakes must have worked around this somehow.

I wouldn't put it past them to have put up the prices of a bunch of stock months ago just to be able to advertise them as half-price for christmas.

Currys/Dixons/Pc World are sometimes good for a bargain, only when they wrongly price stock though. Fortunately their moronic staff do this on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, you could always just not buy anything from them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

They had a dvd player - reduced from 129.00 to 59.99
    that's horse ****
    I bought the same player for 60 yoyos last xmas - of dixons. (which is the same)

well, you could always just not buy anything from them?

Why thats so crazy that it just might work! Thanks for the tip. You should spend more time in the personal issues section though. Your problem solving skills are just wasted in here.

I'd say they have had this planned for the last few months, all just for this advertising campaign. Either that or they are just blatantly ignoring any legislation governing this. Even if someone complains, they've already sent out x million of them. They'd probably only be told to stop circulating them. Bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

thanks for the vote of confidence. im glad you see some good in me.

however, what exactly is the problem with the prices they charge?
    i dont think Currys ever said they were the cheapest store around. and if they are offering things at half the normal price than they were previously at, then i am wondering what it is you are complaining about?

if you are going to go about complaining about the price of things, why dont you start with the difference in price of a pint in different pubs. theres an excersize for you. you could even get drunk at the same time as carrying out your census.

now theres a crazy idea. its a one in a million chance, but it. just. might. work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

One thing I never understood about Currys/Dixons/PC World, was their online slaes policy (last time I looked). It seems they have no problem selling and delivering goods to their UK based customers, but try and buy something online as an Irish customer and it's "Delivery available only to the UK and Northern Ireland", yet they have several stores here and advertise widely in the national press.

As someone who prefers to buy my electronic goodies online this can be generally annoying when UK companies do this, especially when they alrwady have a base of operations over here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The only thing that Currys/Dixons/PC World are good for is playing with their staff.

Example 1
    Walk up to Sales Drone
    Customer "Excuse me young man, pray tell what chipset is on that PC's motherboard"
    Sales Drone "Ahhh I'll go check..." Runs off in a panic :D

Example 2
    Walk up to Spotty Sales Drone
    Customer "Excuse me old chap does this here Televissssion handle NTSC"
    Spotty Sales Drone sh!ts himself
    Spotty Sales Drone "Do you want an extended warranty with that?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

And that is the more intellegent staff that you are talking about there... :D

Try going to one of these places if you are a blonde girl... :p

Personally I would always check on the net for the stuff that I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

he wanted a increase in pay and more respect (and he was intelligent)

he went on the dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Out of curiosity I decided to look at the company's delivery policys on their websites: same old sh*te UK mainland only blah blah.

I mean this is the 21st century right? This umbrella company has a large distribution network in the republic already, and given our recently acquired wealth we're more than happy to spend it, so why operate such a retarded delivery policy? For that matter it's so hard to find any online retailers operating in this country.
    Sure, we're only 4 mil strong as a nation, but FFS, we're supposedly one of the leading world exporters of software and hardware driving the web.
    Sony.ie is a good example. Buy anything you like on the .co.uk mirror but if you're Irish it's either a two grand robot dog or €550 walkman available to buy online; want something simple like a telly? Go to the highstreet.
    Such home grown favourites as PowerCity don't seem able to keep their "website" functional, let alone provide online sales. Out of all the places I searched, only DID and Peats seem to offer services similar to UK operators but prices are that little bit higher...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Bodan

Try going to one of these places if you are a blonde girl...

what difference would been a blonde girl make ? both of them would end up been confused :D

Yep - I love playing the dumb blonde and then saying something that totally confuses them - even more fun if you wear a mini, though I would never stoop to heavy makeup... :D

hmm , you sound like one in a million ;)

seirouly though I didnt understand your remark , were you saying that they'd try n' hit on you , or is it , if you asked them a technical question they'd fluff you off

I meant that they would try and fluff me off - have done it a few times...a girl has got to have fun sometimes :)

aww poor you
    if you ever came up to me for assistance , id happily help you out :D

Cathy and Bodan a/s/l?

Wltm some1 with vgsoh. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I remember about 4 or 5 years ago I was working in Electric World (no longer around), was akin to Currys, same size store etc out in blanchardstown.

Anyway there was a tv we were selling for about £250 and coming up to christmas all the new deals came in. This tv went up to £300 with a sign on it saying 30% off.

They got away with this becuase they had the tv for sale in another shop for £399 for 6 months that year and therefore were not breaking any laws bu saying 30% off despite actually increasing the price. Needless to say the tv walked out of the shop, stupid people kept buying them, despite my best efforts to warn them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

egan007 wrote:
    They had a dvd player - reduced from 129.00 to 59.99
    that's horse ****
    I bought the same player for 60 yoyos last xmas - of dixons. (which is the same)
    I agree! I bought that same model that is now 59.99 for 49.99 about two months ago......... in Currys!!!

Advertisement