Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The lifespan of a quotation

Options
  • 29-11-2004 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

Is there any standard period before a quotation could be said to no longer apply, despite there being no period of validity explicitly stated on the quotation?

To be more specific, would it be reasonable to state that a quotation more than a year and a half old is no longer valid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Normally when we quote for work its 30 days, it depends on what you are quoting for but I cant see how someone would hold a price for 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

I always state on quotes that it is:

1. an estimate only
    2. valid of 30 days from date on quote

I don't know if there is a legal standard period of time but definitely don't see a quote being supported by law if a year old. Even 6 months would be pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It's a quote, not a sale. If a reasonable period of time has passed, then any business would understand that you have to update your quote to them. Given this, if there’s a huge jump in price, they may question it (which is perfectly within their rights to do).

If it is a question that they are unreasonably trying to hold you to an old quote, then tell them to fsck off as you’re under no obligation to supply them. Trust me; if they’re already horse-trading over an old quote they’re going to be more trouble than they’re worth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Ta for replies, I'll have to make sure and do the 'valid for 30 days' thing on a quotation from now on. Hopefully this particular situation will be sorted soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

It's worthwhile putting together a set of standard terms and conditions of sale that you can refer to in all quotations that include a whole list of valuable clauses including stuff about when you get paid, how you should be paid and what happens if you don't get paid too.

Borrow someone else's that you like and edit them up for yourself. You don't have to send them with every quote you just say "standard terms and conditions apply, available on request", then you're covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

A quotation is not a contract and is mearly that "a quotation" which is a approximation of a total should you enter in contractions.

But better to clarify how long quotations last when dealing with customers its easyier in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Are you sure about this? Is a quotation not an offer to supply?

An estimate is quite a different thing, clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Are you sure about this? Is a quotation not an offer to supply?

An estimate is quite a different thing, clearly.
    The point is really more a semantic one, TBH - generally a quotation may be either at a set price or an estimate. Nonetheless, it is no more an offer to supply than a price tag in a shop - the proprietor may always refute admission.

Advertisement