Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important Credit Card Info

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think it just slows the whole process down because it has to phone through to get authorised.

When a non-chip and pin card is swiped, the electronic terminals still dial for authorisation, so in the majority of cases it takes no more time.

TSB used to have pictures on the back of their Visa cards once upon a time,, however it's a non-standard security feature AFAIK, so it's very little use when it comes to preventing fraud (criminals clone the card details unto a non-photo bearing card and retailers won't know the difference)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

RuggieBear wrote:
    four numbers.....are you mad!!? :eek:
    just put it in your phone under CC Num.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GreeBo wrote:
    just put it in your phone under CC Num.... :rolleyes:
    Or better yet, just write it on the back of your card! That way, when you take your card out, you can remind yourself of your PIN before you stick the card in the slot!

Writing down PINs is a bad idea, no matter where you write it. Someone who takes a girl's bag, has their phone and cards. Someone who mugs a guy will take their phone and wallet. Any thief with good sense would check the phonebook for PINs and alarm codes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

If all liability passes to the cardholder, CC usage will drop dramatically as the media starts reporting the scale of victims losses.

I can't see the CC companies enforcing this even if they legally can. The cost of fraud may be huge, but the losses from reduced usage would be even greater.

Re PINs, I write mine in 'coded' form, hidden in longer numbers that look like phone numbers. I also have a few 4-digit random numbers written down as a cunning subterfuge :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Muck wrote:
    How is the cc company to know whether you showed up at the counter in the takeaway or whether they delivered to your home after you shouted the cc number (and no pin) down the phone line.

By phone, they could ask for the credit card Security Code (actually, I'm not sure how safe that is) or the could provide the delivery guy with a mobile swipe unit.

If you collect, they can ask you to swipe your card when you collect.

I imagine few takeaway bills exceed €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

I've recently been skimmed for 900 euro on my visa card - no idea how. I am assuming that I will not be liable for this, especially after reading the following from the Chip and pin Ireland site ...

The fraud liability rule does not apply in circumstances where the card and cardholder are not present - such as mail-order, telephone order, or internet purchases - liability for fraud in these circumstances is dependent on each individual case.

Advertisement