Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Garage Music ????

Options
  • 06-03-2001 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

The UK Brit Awards and the US Grammys run parallel to each other but in years past, both were quite different in many ways. The Grammys were more predictable and tended to be better organised with well controlled controversy fed to the press in the weeks leading up to the ceremony. The Brits, on the other hand, were less predictable with controversy left to the last minute, often during the ceremony. In past years the Brits has seen such memorable moments as Jarvis ****er (Pulp) mooning Michael Jackson in the middle of a performance and Chumbawumba throwing water over the Deputy Prime Minister.

This year however, was a far more predictable and sterile affair. Even Eminem delivered a rather unremarkable, seen-it-all-before performance. This year the Brits and the Grammys seemed indistinguishable from each other. Not just from a production point of view but this year the process of selecting the nominees and winners was based more upon brand loyalty, market share and product positioning than on talent or innovation.

A perfect example of this is UK Garage/RnB heart throb Craig David. Craig had an astounding year 2000 with everything he touched turning to platinum. The guy can sing, he's good-looking and more talented than Robbie Williams. This isn't a biased view. I personally don't care much for UK Garage as a genre but I'm in the minority and it's obvious to anyone that Craig was born a musician, not manufactured like Mr. Williams. Yet, in spite of being nominated for
    no less than SIX awards, Craig David won fxxk all.

Now this part is a biased view and purely my opinion:

During the year 2000, UK Garage and RnB were plugged to death on the radio. I attended the 1st UK Love Parade and I can tell you that this genre was ALL the rage and looked set to stay for years to come! So what happened? Robbie Williams fans buy T-shirts and worship him as a brand name sold by a record company with massive resources at it's disposal. Craig David is signed to a smaller label, which is quick to react to market trends but has fewer resources. The larger labels (and let's face it, there's only 5) were slow to catch on to the popularity of this genre so it had to be kept in check! Hey presto! The Brit Awards may have signaled the death of UK Garage. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

i hope u're right.

I hate Craig David.

tct

eek.gif

I'm a bicycle!!

I'm offended.

BAN THAT GUY!

In all seriousness....the greatest place on earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OMG I cant belive it!!!!

Clan Acid 0wn j00.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

The bloke who lives in the flat bellow me plays House and Garage Music all the time.
    IT IS SH!T
    and at 9:00 in the morning after a good night out is the last thing I want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doc:
    The bloke who lives in the flat bellow me plays House and Garage Music all the time.
    IT IS SH!T
    and at 9:00 in the morning after a good night out is the last thing I want to hear.
    </font>

Amen!
    Garage sux!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

i would say stuff about craig david but last time there was a post on him some guy shut it down
    so...
    ******ing craig david!!

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement