Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod v iRiver v Archos v I dont know

Options
  • 29-11-2004 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

ok time to invest in something to hold tunes

Looking for one with Radio and have not seen and iPod with one ??

iRivers look good and I can get all my old tapes onto them and burn them to CD

Also saw the Archos bit Bulkey dont know if its worth it ??

Whats the best to get and where in Dublin or online to buy ?

In Boston in March so is it better to hold off until then as maybe cheaper and hopefully rate will stay the same

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Go for the Creative Zen Touch(20gb)
    http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=10274
    €253 from Komplett.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

its ony 279 in PC World...worth the extra few quid in case u have problems with it IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Jammer wrote:
    its ony 279 in PC World...worth the extra few quid in case u have problems with it IMO
    PCworld are terrible for returns infact they are terrible all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

good generalisation there.

Kompletts RMAs take 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Dont get a creative....theyre cheaper for a reason....theres a few minor problems often enought while booting which can be fixed by pressing the reset button, but i have heard from friends who have it that its useless and these guys are well into their technology, so theyre probably right....if you want to play it safe go for the iriver h340...i have one and its so good..far superior sound quality, plays movies with the new firmware update, has fm radio, and displays photos. doesnt neeed any drivers either so its great as a portable HD.
    I have to admit that the video is far better on the archos because it was designed for it....iriver just upgraded the h300 to video after the player was released, so as you would expect its not great...only runs at 10fps, but on the small screen its barely noticeable.
    So if your going for audio quality and decent movies go for the iriver. im not too sure bout audio quality on the archos but i do know that the videos are great...so get, iriver h300 series(20gb or 40gb), archos gmini 400(20gb), or the archos av400(20gb or 80gb but very expensive). if you have the money i would recommend the av400 but most people including myself dont have 900 euro handy.

http://www.iriver.com/html/product/pr_index.asp - check out the h300
    http://www.archos.com/ - check out the gmini and av400

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I got the new Creative Zen Micro and it's the business. It's not for people who want their entire collection to carry around but for around 1200 songs (5 Gigs). It has an FM Radio that you can record, it can be used as a portable hard drive (u can choose the size up to 2GB) and it has a voice recorder. You can also synch with your Outlook contacts, calender etc. It comes with a handy hard case that attaches to both a small stand and a belt clip. The headphones are excellent quality and at the moment it comes with a spare battery. Sound is fantastic, it has touch buttons, comes in a range of colours and moving through the menu is very fast. ie. I'd recommend it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

LFCFan wrote:
    I got the new Creative Zen Micro and it's the business. It's not for people who want their entire collection to carry around but for around 1200 songs (5 Gigs). It has an FM Radio that you can record, it can be used as a portable hard drive (u can choose the size up to 2GB) and it has a voice recorder. You can also synch with your Outlook contacts, calender etc. It comes with a handy hard case that attaches to both a small stand and a belt clip. The headphones are excellent quality and at the moment it comes with a spare battery. Sound is fantastic, it has touch buttons, comes in a range of colours and moving through the menu is very fast. ie. I'd recommend it :)

I'd second that I'm very happy with my ZM!!! Only gripe, I feel the FM reception could be better on the radio!!! but for the rest its great!!!. :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Jammer wrote:
    Kompletts RMAs take 3 months
    MAN THATS BULL! Some eejit told me this when I sent back a graphics card, So I bought a second one, I got the replacement of the RMA in about 10 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

iriver 120s are 299 in peats now i heard.
    much better player from the general conssense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

sorta off topic but why not get a nokia 6230 or something along them lines, then you wont need a seperate mp3 player and phone, plus its got a radio and is a great little phone. you can get em off ebay for bout 250. My mate did this and he has never used his ipod since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

whats these things like for shock protection, im gonna get an iriver if someone can confirm they wont skip if im jogging with it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

whats these things like for shock protection, im gonna get an iriver if someone can confirm they wont skip if im jogging with it

Most MP3 players uses solid state memory so it's impossible for them to skip as there are no moving parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

LFCFan wrote:
    Most MP3 players uses solid state memory so it's impossible for them to skip as there are no moving parts.
    He was refferring to the HD-based players.

They are not good for jogging, they probably won't skip - but you could damage the hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

so what would be the biggest non-moving part player?

Advertisement