Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent Games to be Banned

Options
  • 29-11-2004 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Just read in the Mirror (I have to buy it for my parents) that minister McDowell is trying to push through an initiative to have violent games like D3, GTA:SA and HL2 banned.

Is this just more Mirror rubbish or is there any truth behind the matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It'll never happen. There'd be too much of an outcry. Plus people will just buy them over the internet.

I don't know if its true, but it would be for the good of all us. We should all get back into church on a Sunday and repent for all the bashings we gave out over the weekend as we had nothing else to take our aggression out on. :)

Bless you all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

you seem to be ashamed of buying the mirror. never knew there were "cool" papers and "non-fashionable" ones.
    anyway aside from that, i think its more of introducing a means to control how games rae released much like the way films are re;eased into the cinemas with control authorities and enforcing age ratings. soon younger kids may need to show I.D. to buy a 15 rated game.
    maybe this will stop parents blaming violent games on shootings when they still happens when it is clearly the parents fault or someone elses when they buy the game for the young offender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Just read in the Mirror (I have to buy it for my parents) that minister McDowell is trying to push through an initiative to have violent games like D3, GTA:SA and HL2 banned.

Is this just more Mirror rubbish or is there any truth behind the matter?

horsesh*t
    even if its true, it will never happen if i can't kill people in games i'll take to doing it in real life.
    so banning just encourages violence :D

horsesh*t
    even if its true, it will never happen if i can't kill people in games i'll take to doing it in real life.
    so banning just encourages violence :D

If you see my post above, my point exactly. But it may get you back into church :D

Bless you my childers-Father Dub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

you seem to be ashamed of buying the mirror. never knew there were "cool" papers and "non-fashionable" ones.

No, there are just some that are abject rags. Like the Mirror, Sun, Star, Herald.

McDowell just wants to ban violent games to minimise the chances of his son Arbuthnot Cecil McDowell from getting beaten up by 'roughs' at school again. Then again he might get picked on less if his father wasn't such a reactionary.

"Hey, his Dad wants to ban video games! Get him!" OOOF, BAM, PLAF etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

half life 2? that's not violent is it? i mean there are no heads blown off or anything in it or CS:S is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Caliden wrote:

Because everyone knows tabloids are responsible for sensationalist reporting and in particular writing up **** that has no basis in reality and other junk for example on todays front page we have the picture of the M50 crash and on the right a picture of a girl with a caption "Hue's that girl" The girl? Kerry Mcfadden. The reason why she is pictured on the front page and has another page devoted to her in the paper? Did she find a cure for cancer? Solve 3rd world debt and hunger? No she changed her hair color..... For that sort of reason I have no respect for the mirror and why I figured u might have realised why I stated specifically that it was the Mirror that was the source of my info but that besides the point.

They didn't have much on the topic to be honest but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about a games ban.

this is the kind of anger associated with violent games, tut tut.
    dont let McDowell discover this thread or else!!

Remember the ALAMo

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

This would not be an issue if moranic parents decided to follow the age ratings on the front of the box!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

This just in from Minister McDowell's Constituency Office in Ranelagh:

PRESS RELEASE - Minister McDowell is to combat violence in video games by releasing his own range of rival, moral, non-violent games that teach responsibility and community values. The first title due for release by Christmas 2004 is set to be 'Immigrants - Send them Back Where They Came From Challenge'. In this game you play the beleaguered Minister for Justice trying to marshall your tiny reserves of police to combat an evil wave of non-legal asylum seekers. Organise press-friendly dawn round-ups. Rush darkies onto the plane before they can appeal their case in the courts. Beat on wogs. 25% of sales of this game will go towards the McDowell Re-Election fu... we mean the McDowell Moral Majority Trust. END

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rofl

*stands and applauds*

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Caliden wrote:

Ye and rightly so. They are for people who have a vocabulary of something like less than 100 words. In all fairness, the papers are written by idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

Brilliant!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

lol
    nice one

yeah but most parents don't do this do they cos as we all know there are VERY few parents who are genuinely knowledgable about games. Take for instance one lady I heard interviewed about buying games for her kids. She roughly said "oh yes I take an interest when I buy my son games. I usually look at the pictures on the back".... nuff said about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

evad_lhorg wrote:
    half life 2? that's not violent is it? i mean there are no heads blown off or anything in it or CS:S is there?
    /me cuts another zombie in half with grav gun / saw blade combo

What a satisfying sound it makes.

cheesedude wrote:
    Ye and rightly so. They are for people who have a vocabulary of something like less than 100 words. In all fairness, the papers are written by idiots.

U slagging my folks????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Papa Smut wrote:
    If you see my post above, my point exactly. But it may get you back into church :D

Bless you my childers-Father Dub

And when you are all tighly packed into the church I'll just toss in a frag and send you all straight to hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

evad_lhorg wrote:
    It's because he hopes to turn make Dublin exactly like City 17 and doesn't want people to know about his plans in advance...

• Advertisement

what future titles have we to look forward?
    as enjoyable a game as it sounds, it's still a bit too violet with the touching and the physical contact, OH it Hurts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Incredible! Only in good catholic Ireland. Think about it? Oh no, ban it! Make them play with a stick, it was good enough for our parents! rant rant rant etc. I truly despair.

no one is saying it will happen just what I read might happen if McDowell is in any way serious about the matter. Personaly I doubt that violent games will be banned...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

cheesedude wrote:

What about idiots who have difficulty forming sentences, and have no grasp of punctuation! :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

magpie wrote:
    No, there are just some that are abject rags. Like the Mirror, Sun, Star, Herald.

Dont forget the Independent, and more so the great Irish rag which is the Sunday Independent - it's up there with Ireland on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

magpie wrote:
    This just in from Minister McDowell's Constituency Office in Ranelagh:

PRESS RELEASE - Minister McDowell is to combat violence in video games by releasing his own range of rival, moral, non-violent games that teach responsibility and community values. The first title due for release by Christmas 2004 is set to be 'Immigrants - Send them Back Where They Came From Challenge'. In this game you play the beleaguered Minister for Justice trying to marshall your tiny reserves of police to combat an evil wave of non-legal asylum seekers. Organise press-friendly dawn round-ups. Rush darkies onto the plane before they can appeal their case in the courts. Beat on wogs. 25% of sales of this game will go towards the McDowell Re-Election fu... we mean the McDowell Moral Majority Trust. END
    I give it 2 weeks before a mod comes out, with shotguns :cool:

=-=

Also, it'll drive up the amount of sh|t downloaded. Games companies will loose lots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't allow this. I'm off to kill my friend and blame it on going to church before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Anyone got a link for this news article?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

This always happens though; there has always been talk of banning video games and films that are violent or not suitable for younger audiences.
    Parent always seek to blame game manufacturer and film makers for the kids hyperactivity or anti social behavior etc.........
    This argument is nothing new and won’t go away personally i blame the parents lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cows With Guns

Im gonna go throw bricks off a bridge and blame it on tetris

Advertisement