Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buying/selling a bike privately - tips?

Options
  • 29-11-2004 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

im hoping to upgrade my bike in the next few weeks.
    the top of my wanted list stands as the honda bros 400.
    prices second hand seem to vary from 1800 to 2800
    with dealer prices hovering around the 3200-3400 mark

my plan is to sell my old bike :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=204864
    and upgrade.

the virago was my first bike and i got it in a shop etc so it camer with guarantees etc.
    this time around id be confident enough to buy privately [last time id never even sat on a bike] but with no biker friends im hoping to get some advise.
    basically what to look out for - tell tale signs , fair prices for age/mileage cvombinations etc, or other bikes in the same power / price range

also ive never dealt privately is tthere anything i need to do to make sure all the sales go through quickly and easily.

oh
    one other thing thats been bothering me, is it expected to pay cash or bank drafts or whats the deal?
    thanks again :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

One major tip I will give you when buying a bike privately is;
    GET IT CHECKED BY A DECENT MECHANIC!
    From the outside it can look perfect but there could be niggly little problems that you wouldnt see/know.
    All the rest is common sense basically

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

don't buy this one!!!
    Nicked: 1991 Honda Bros 91 D 48123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

BROS is a goodd reliable bike...be careful though...make sure it hasnt been couriered....a lot of them are run to bits

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Apart from going to a mechanic, which is tough to get done with the owners permission and all, the following basic things might help.

1. See and ride as many as possible, so that you will get an Idea of what they are supposed to feel like.
    2. Bring a ruler, and check the tyre thread depth ensure it is a couple of MM in the centre and slightly to the left of centre at least.
    3. Check the condition of the chain. Is it lubed? Is it adjusted as far as it can? pull the chain back horizontally off the centre of the rear sprocket. If you can see daylight then the chain is knackered.
    4. Check the sprocket teeth are not hooked. If they are they need to be replaced.
    5. Bring a freind - even if they dont know about bikes. They can help you and give a critical eye.
    6. Check there is no lateral play in the rear wheel.
    7. Check the same with the front wheel.
    8. Demand the bike is cold when you see it. If its not then walk.
    9. Check for ominous noises when you rev it.
    10. Insist on a test ride, or a ride on the back if not possible.
    11. Ignore the persons personality, unless they are scum. Just cos someone is nice doesent mean they arent selling on a nail.
    12. Marks from bungee cords on the back or a topbox - especially with a bros, would suggest courier.

There really is no substitute for someone that knows what they are at, bring someone if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

thanks for the advice
    ill bring a mate along to make mumbling noises and kick the tyres then :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement