Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorillaz

Options
  • 10-03-2001 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Gorillaz, Heard of em ? Just heard a song by them on Q. Damon Albarn is singing on the song along with Del tha Funky Homosapien, who was also on Handsome Boy Modeling Schools Album. That was a great album.

The track I heard/saw was called Clint Eastwood. www.gorillaz.com is the website but its too bloaty for me to bother viewing at home. I'll do it at work Monday. wink.gif

Anyone know anything about them ? Nothing on UBL.com. Amazon has an EP - Tomorrow Comes Today but Clint Eastwood ain't on it. It says the boys are: Damon Albarn, Miho Hatori, Jamie Hewlett and Del Tha Funky Homosapien.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Anyone know anything about them ? </font>

not a lot except that gorillaz are supposed to be the world's first "virtual band", whatever that's supposed to mean. boyzone are a virtual a band but not a real one cos theyre **** and they virtually make no music that's healthy to listen to.

it's just albarn trying to be all geek-hip and arty - and failing. 'Clint Eastwood' is crap but the animation is nifty and the site is pretty well put together.

itll be interesting to see how the whole mdia wagon treats gorillaz and they treat it

"I collect spores, moulds and fungus."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I think it means that you only ever see them as cartoons. They released another song a month or 2 ago and it was a cartoon as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 nard

DadaKopf it fills me with joy that you are of the opinion that Clint Eastwood is a **** song, but I believe that the general consensus regarding the tune is that it is infact quite good, and a hint more original than alot of the garbage being released these days.

It's not like Damon Albarn is singing from the rooftops proclaiming this group are the worlds first virtual band or attempting to start a new craze (or maybe he is, but thats not the point) - he's actually just making a point of doing completely the opposite of all the new manufactured bands who travel from show to show, getting their face on every paper and magazine, and simply trying to get as much publicity by being all to everyone. By being a virtual band he's basically saying he isn't gonna stick his head and the other members heads on every ****in tv show, and every kids show and every music show in a storm of publicity, but instead he'll let the music do the talking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I thought the video to Clint Eastwood was quiet good, Jamie Hewlett was the guy who created the animation. Comic book readers remember him as the guy who created the bloody great Tank Girl. Anyway, i thought the song was pretty good. A lot better than the s hite out there at the moment...

Damn it Jim, im a doctor, not a Beefy King !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nard:
    DadaKopf it fills me with joy that you are of the opinion that Clint Eastwood is a **** song, but I believe that the general consensus regarding the tune is that it is infact quite good, and a hint more original than alot of the garbage being released these days.</font>

perhaps your not looking very far then.
    great singles are released everyday. its just if they dont have a name attached to them then they'll dive.

looking beyond the media image, the song itself is so so bad... dodgy rapping, albarn only sings the one verse, it is pure pop,
    and therefore of course the general consensus is that it is good, as are bewitched and nsync.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    By being a virtual band he's basically saying he isn't gonna stick his head and the other members heads on every ****in tv show, and every kids show and every music show in a storm of publicity, but instead he'll let the music do the talking
    </font>

he's already appeared on several kids and saturday morning tv shows talking about how cool the cartoon characters are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Couldn't give a rats ar$e about the image or how may TV shows he has or hasn't been on, but the track itself is very listenable indeed. Radio One over here tend to play a fast version, XFM play a much slower and (imo) better one. It's a neat song that really stands out from the other tat on the radio; the rapping I can live with or without, but Albarn's chorus is very cool, he sings like he's stoned (which he probably was...) and it's just got a laid back quality that really works.

A bright spot in the radio playlists. That new Placebo track is pretty cool too, but I'm gonna shoot the next moron to play Rollin'... bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I agree with Shinji. The rapping i couldn't care about but the chorus is quite good. Its easy to listen to. Also the video is good but not highly ariginal from an animation point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

yeah it's very catchy tune but did you know that the female gorilla can enjoy upwards of 80 orgasms during sex. smile.gif

Oo! Oo! Oo! Oo!

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

So can women... probably...

sorry kali

cheers for setting me straight

you're infinetely more knowledgeable than I could ever pretend to be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

oh crap someones insulted my music taste.
    i better retort with some witty yet sarcastic statement.

retort ...

yes. best do that.

[This message has been edited by nard (edited 13-03-2001).]

Advertisement