Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one to go for when OC'ing?

Options
  • 29-11-2004 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Intel Pentium 4 550 3.4 GHz Boxed Socket LGA775, 1MB cache @ 284.00

or

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz Socket 939, 512KB cache, BOXED @ 279.00

This question is beginning to frustrate me.
    Im upgrading and im looking at Komplett.
    Which board should i get with DDR and an AGP card.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

If you are getting the AMD one, make sure you get the winchester core. Those baby can be o'ced to 2.6Ghz on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

if i was you id go for the p4 its what im using and im stable "rock soild" at almost 4.3ghz which aint bad at all and the new 550 doesnt have half the heat problems than its older brother ...the stepping is different to the frist presscotts that came out .......the only thing thats holding me back on getting further is cooling the ddr2 which im using is 533 mhz but it running stable at 666mhz which the cpu at 4.25ghz...

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

be intrested to know this myself. Would you choose the AMD as the better chip (i would) or the intel for all round system preformance, (faster RAM).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

simple AMD, better long term value!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Amd for me, due to the fact they handle higher voltages better, u up the vcore on p4's and later on the chip degrades faster than amd's. Also amds seem to have more potental and 64bit :) . Amd seem to preform better and are more of a challenge i personally think.

• Advertisement

ARGINITE wrote:
    simple AMD, better long term value!
    Unfortunately Long term should not really be a consideration because you are going to have to upgrade in 2-3 years anyways to stay in touch with the rest, and to be able to play the newest games. So I suppose a better question is dose anyone know when Intel/AMD bring out there newest Chip's will they be sticking with the current socket or changing again? What I mean by this is basically Intel has pulled out of the 4GHz race and let AMD win the current battle in Performance, so they must be working on something new. When they release it will it be the same socket (775)???

I’m currently trying to decide on a similar spec like the one that was asked in the first question. “AMD 3500 (0.09)” OR “Prescott" 3.6GHz (0.09)”? The Intel one is more expensive (~100euro more) but the option on faster Ram are much better i.e. The Asus P5AD2-E Premium 925XE claims to support DDR2 711 so may be for over all better performance the Intel would win.

Dual cores are next i think, dont know if they will use the same socket. socket 775 seems to be good, it depends on personal preference i think, both are pretty good, it depends what u use the pc for.

will be using the pc for everything, Games,watching DVD's,Music , Software Development, and ofcource the net.

Also I'v heard some rummers that Dual Core's are not going to be the next big thing from Intel.

On stock dose anyone know which will BM higher, AMD3500(0.09) or the 3.6(0.09)

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

GAMES!

I have a Multimedia machine for movies etc.
    All thats left is this Rig im trying to make for games.

sorry Diabolus i think i was trying to steal your post just there. :)

• Advertisement

See i can afford to go one higher that the 3500 but kompletts next step up is €350 the 3800. Anywhere else i should look?

Also there are no Winchester's available either. :(

for games i still would choose amd, if 64bit games come out it is future-proofed and it preforms brialliantly on existing games, as for which gets better BM's, i dont know??? does anyone have any results on equal systems? i think its really personal preference, its not a simple case of which 1 to buy i dont think anyway

Diabolus wrote:
    See i can afford to go one higher that the 3500 but kompletts next step up is €350 the 3800. Anywhere else i should look?

Also there are no Winchester's available either. :(

No the 3500 is the best chip they made on the Winchester (0.09) it is supposed to be a really good chip really good. It think its a dead lock between the two of them at the min.

i found this

"

Therefore, the balance of power between AMD and Intel remains unchanged: when it comes to gaming, Intel has nothing to thwart the dominance of the Athlon64 family in general, and the FX in particular. On the other hand, audio/video encoding tasks and synthetic benchmarks are usually dominated by Intel processors.

" on
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041101/925xe-16.html

Yeah im looking for Gaming Performance so Im AMD.
    I cant find anywhere with the 3500 in a Winchester Core sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

From what ive read before, Socket 939 is setup for Dual Core just like the opteron socket (940) and ive heard all you do is replace the chip with a dual core and away you go.

Intel on the other hand were way behind on the dual core thing but are putting greater efforts into it now (realising its potential) . I doubt the S775 will handle dual core either way.

Thats just some of what ive read....

PS www.jes.de have the 3200+ Winchester and have the 3500+ on order....

Diabolus wrote:
    Yeah im looking for Gaming Performance so Im AMD.
    I cant find anywhere with the 3500 in a Winchester Core sadly.

Overclockers.co.uk sell the Winchester 3500 but i think there out of stock at the min.

Ack! everywhere is outta stock.
    I want it now! >:-|

P.S. i soo want it now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

While we are on the topic of winchesters, what fan would be best for it?

also read this

The balance of power between AMD and Intel will not change all that much because of a 200 MHz clock speed increase. Yet, if the benchmark results of the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition were combined with those of the Pentium 4 570, Intel would score at the top of a majority of our categories. In a direct comparison, it becomes apparent that the new P4 and the Athlon 64 FX-55 run neck-and-neck. Just as has been the case so many times before, it comes down to personal preference: what is your CPU meant to do? If games are your main interest, AMD is still impossible to beat. However, the more you move into the professional area with applications such as A/V encoding or rendering, the more attractive the P4 will be. Increased support for the SSE3 instruction set will only add on top of Intel's advantage here; this is an area that still needs to be addressed by AMD

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/pentium4_570-21.html

So for games AMD seem to be definitly the way to go

• Advertisement

Hey "neokenzo" what speed do you have that 3200 clocked to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I think www.over-clock.co.uk might have some 3500+ winnies in stock, got mine from overclockers before the masses jumped on them and all the 3500+ stock got sucked up in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The first dual cores will be on s775.

For gaming go a64. This is where it exels. Why not get a 3200 winchester and some decent ram with a good cooler and overclock that baby. I've seen a lot of them reach near 3800 speeds.

BloodBath

I wouldnt shop outside the EU due to the new Import Taxes.
    Might go for the 3200 Winnie... so what board will i get to suit my DDR500 and x800 AGP? And importantly a good cooler?

I havnt been affected by the new import tax, i have imported about 4 items over $100 each since and wasnt charged a cent on import, it depends how u ship it in dude

gline wrote:
    I havnt been affected by the new import tax, i have imported about 4 items over $100 each since and wasnt charged a cent on import, it depends how u ship it in dude

How long is it since you recived the Items?

1 of them would have been maybe september or earlier, i have basically got something every month from the usa and havnt been hit yet

From the Space Center site?

• Advertisement

???

Advertisement