Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one to go for when OC'ing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

I know a guy who Got somthing from USA about 5 months ago and only got the bill about 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Ok im going with the 3500+ Winnie model.
    What motherboard should i get with AGP?

Looking at this one
    http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8v-d/overview.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I'd go with one of the nforce3 boards. They o'c much better. The MSI platinum is quite good in my opinion.

Someone on Komplett said this

I bought this board along with an AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 processor and 1 gig of Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO memory and a Gainward GeForce 6800GT 256MB GS graphics card from komplett hoping that this would be a great pc but the MSI board is the most unstable board I have ever used!!!

I have been building pcs for years and never had as much crashes as I did with this board.

I updated the bios and it helps a bit but it is still very unstable.

I bought the Abit AV8-3rd Eye Mainboard yesterday and it is very stable not one crash yet this is a much better board and the preformance with this board is a lot better than the MSI board.

Buy the Abit board and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Looks like the Abit is better?

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

also read this

The balance of power between AMD and Intel will not change all that much because of a 200 MHz clock speed increase. Yet, if the benchmark results of the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition were combined with those of the Pentium 4 570, Intel would score at the top of a majority of our categories. In a direct comparison, it becomes apparent that the new P4 and the Athlon 64 FX-55 run neck-and-neck. Just as has been the case so many times before, it comes down to personal preference: what is your CPU meant to do? If games are your main interest, AMD is still impossible to beat. However, the more you move into the professional area with applications such as A/V encoding or rendering, the more attractive the P4 will be. Increased support for the SSE3 instruction set will only add on top of Intel's advantage here; this is an area that still needs to be addressed by AMD

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20...um4_570-21.html

So for games AMD seem to be definitly the way to go

Don't believe a word of Toms Hardware its completely bias in favour of intel. Ask round there reputation is woeful in that regard. It failed to mention that SSE3 was implemented in the 90nm AMD 64 chips oops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

oh and before we start thrashing any MSI boards I'd just like to state that my MSI K8N neo 2 platinum runs like a dream, stock or overclocked. If you're overclocking it's the best of a bad bunch, period. Just take a look at the anandtech roundup of s939, that said, there's some tasty nf4 on the horizon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Arent the nf4 for pci only?

Diabolus wrote:
    Someone on Komplett said this

I bought this board along with an AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 processor and 1 gig of Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO memory and a Gainward GeForce 6800GT 256MB GS graphics card from komplett hoping that this would be a great pc but the MSI board is the most unstable board I have ever used!!!

I have been building pcs for years and never had as much crashes as I did with this board.

I updated the bios and it helps a bit but it is still very unstable.

I bought the Abit AV8-3rd Eye Mainboard yesterday and it is very stable not one crash yet this is a much better board and the preformance with this board is a lot better than the MSI board.

Buy the Abit board and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Looks like the Abit is better?

double posting because there is no way in hell the Abit boards are better, have a look around the different forums, the Abit board is in no way better, define better for me - maybe he just got a bad board and needed to RMA...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh i know people using MSI boards and they no trouble, they seem great

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Having both a MSI socket 754 board and a socket 939 abit board I must say I have found the Abit board better on the grounds I have had less issue with the bios and stability than the MSI one. Difference is minimal between 939 and socket 754 and any problems I had with the MSI were not to major.

• Advertisement

neokenzo wrote:
    Arent the nf4 for pci only?
    There'll be a standard chipset with agp support also with none of the extra fancy nf4 goodness afaik

when are the nf4 based socket 939 boards being released?? or are they already out? any benchmarks up for them yet????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

MSI neo2 is quite stable for me. I heard people had issues with winchesters and neo2 boards with the 1.2 bios. But all the new boards are shipping with v1.3 bios.

Winchester is so nippy. At last AMD have dual channel at affordable prices.

Nforce 4 mobos are coming soon, heres some on pre order from ocers.co.uk http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/asus_amd_motherboards.html

Im gonna wait till Jan and get a new SLI board and 2 gfx cards.
    Seems like the best option.
    Thanks all even though i know this completely went off topic!

oh man id love to go for that, 2 watercooled 6800 GTs, mmmmm :D and a phase change cooled fx55, mite have to be a new project for next year :D

Advertisement