Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am Crap, please help!

Options
  • 29-11-2004 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Please give generously this Christmas. We are a charity formed specificaly to help crap Pro-Evolution soccer players who keep getting beaten by their gloating mates. Brian has been playing pro-evo for 1 year (no console of his own sadly) and is total muck at dead ball situations. Very often, these are the only chances Brian gets in a game. His shooting must be seen to be believed and his tackling is so pants, he never finishes with 11. Can you help? (particularly free kicks and tackling), if so, reply to this mail.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Practice...practice...practice.

It is the only way to get used to the game.

PS: Owning a console or pc to play it would actually help. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Stop slide tackling, then you'll finish with 11 players.
    If you're playing on the PS2, use X to tackle, far better because you're not committing the player and there is less chance of you fouling.
    Pick teams with good players, ones that can string together a few passes. Then pass the ball about alot. Short, quick passes will help create space. Don't try running the ball the whole time you'll only lose it. One-twos are a great way to make space.

Other than that you'll just have to do like cheesedude says, and practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Triangular passing movements work well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 misdog

I know it's stating the obvious but get your tactics right and choose the right players before the game. Have a look at the players form (change player mode and hit L1 2/3 times) - if a player is has a grey arrow pointing down drop him (unless it's Ronaldinhio). Use players with red arrows who are on form (I think some player abilities are set to +12 for some attributes).
    Always check players condition 60-70 mins into the match. If they are knackered take them off.

Also if you are playing a crossing game there is no point putting small players with poor heading ability up front (I ALWAYS cross with L1+circle BTW).

Use L1+X for 1-2's when you are in the opponents half to get your players moving forward. Esp when your attack is set to normal.

It's practice more than anything. Don't give stupid free's away and get players sent off. Use X to put pressure on as was previously said. And when you are in front of goal DON'T PANIC!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Play it as you would real football squares, tirangles and lines. Getting down the line is very effective also near post corsses (double tap circle) are more effective normally than back post.

When taking set peices hold a dirction for spin ie for a corner I usually hold forward and right to put top spin and to curl it away from the goal (side dependant). Also shooting from frees usually half power is in and around the best.

Remember when shooting the bar is for height not for power. So a tap can drive it into the bottem corner etc.

Tackling. Try to stand off the man and time your tackle with X and not square. Square bring another man to the ball and should'nt be used unless it the right situation. Also, never slide unless its 100% neccesary or your good at them. A man under pressuer form a good defender will nearly allways shoot wide or miss place his pass.

Finally for dribbling when not holding any run at all the player is much harder to disposses so mix up the speed of your runss as well. Use the R2 button to slow him down and trun qucker. Also, R2 alone will stop the ball dead (ie no direction either.

There lots of other good stuff, but, thats the basics so that you dont get pumelled all the time. Also tirangle to bring your keeper out when timed right is extremly usfull, although thats why you should learn how to chip.

edit

Oh yeah and also you can first time pass if you press the button before it gets to the man which helps loads. Also. time your headers you can't just tap the button you have to time with jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Defending: Use CIRCLE to make an AI teammate cut the opponent's passing options while you're doing the same with your own player (using X mostly, of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

go to www.pesfan.com, they have loads of stuff...

And repeating what others have said here, play it like real footie.

When defending or trying to get the ball off someone, HOLD x and stick with the player to pressure him.

Play fast, the faster you player the more space you will open
    e.g your between the opponents goal and the centre circle, you pass out to the right/left winger. Instead of running up the line, try double tapping the circle button before the winger even receives the ball and whip in a savage cross - can be very effective...

If you still crap try FIFA... my pet baboon reckons its the business..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

SofaKing wrote:
    Defending: Use CIRCLE to make an AI teammate cut the opponent's passing options while you're doing the same with your own player (using X mostly, of course)

Circle is slide tackle, square closes down players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Circle is slide tackle, square closes down players.

Yeah, sorry about that. I have the SQUARE and CIRCLE functions swapped on my option file. Its what i was used to when i migrated over from FIFA98 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

misdog wrote:
    Use L1+X for 1-2's when you are in the opponents half to get your players moving forward. Esp when your attack is set to normal.

How do you get your players to move forward? My mate is kicking my ass a lot with France - Henry, Pires & co killing me with forwards runs while my players never seem to bomb forward? Is there a button combination I should be using???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

set the tactics for attacking down the side and also set the whole teams tactics to side attack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

for free kicks
    R1= for long distande, fast shot and low height.
    and _R2 for short distance , slower but high height,

anyways also note:

UP > less height
    Down > more height.

So thing is this...

*Near the box: Down+r2
    *Barrier on the box line : just click square
    *Long distance like 30 meters: Up+R1

Depends on the distance mix the R1,R2 with Up or down or just blank it.

Also left and right for curl

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

what sometimes works for me from free kicks when they are in close is by HOLDING circle, down and i think L1 at the same time till the meter is full sends a daisycutter along the ground under the wall (if they jump) which i have scored from a few times and if not it seems to take the defence by surprise from which an attacker can shoot from which can work from far out too.

Advertisement