Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American power adapters?

• 29-11-2004 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

I'm getting something bought for me over in the US (a Hi-MD Minidisc to be precise), so can someone tell me what type of power converter thing I'll need? As in will just a standard wall adapter do or will I have to get a transformer (one that isn't battling Decepticons)? Also, anyone have any info on where to buy, how much etc etc.
    Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

you could just buy the right charger over here for it, or get a 110v to 220v-240v step up adaptor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Have you tried Peats on Parnell Street? I have bought converters from them in the past... one of them broke after a month and they happily exchanged it for me. My adaptor was also for a stereo bought in the US... I think it cost around €25 - €30.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Just pull the wires out. They can easily be guided into the socket directly with a wet knife. Please take precautions and turn the gas on in the oven for at least 40 minutes beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Right
    I'm not sure whether you're talking about a portable minidisc player or a hifi separate so here's both scenarios;

- if its a portable MD then it is likely powered by a transformer, which reduces the voltage from 110v to something like 12v 500mA. If this is the case you should get a transformer which drops to the same rating from 240v.
    Most makes use standard jacks so you should get away with something generic - as vibrant says, try Peats if you're in Dublin, they have a rake of that stuff. If its got a funny jack, the manufacturer will sell them direct.

- if its a hi-fi separate that has the standard lead then you need a step-up transformer/adaptor. Don't be fooled by the feeble efforts you see in the airport that look like double adaptors etc, you will destroy the unit - these things are the size of a small brick. Don't know how much they cost as got mine in the US ($25). Again try Peats or maybe Maplins in Dublin.

- if you are extremely lucky and the thing is dual voltage compatible (it will have the rating on the back, which will say 110-250v, 50-60 hz) then you just need to change the plug - black to live and white to neutral. However this is extremely unlikely, its usually only on stuff like PC's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

I just threw one of these out when I left Ireland last month.

When you get it, check the documentation. Some power cords say 110-220v which basically has a bult in transformer, and all you need is a plug adaptor. This was the case for my digital camera battery charger I brought over from Canada.

The unit itself might be able to use both voltage, as was the case with my game boy advance, which i bought in Ireland and am using in Canada, just need a new AC adaptor.

Larger electronics such as TV's, DVD's, Large stereos etc, that were never intended to be used out of the country will require one of the step down converters mentioned before. I bought mine in the US too, and you will know its the right one cause it does weigh about the same as a brick. I think maplin electronics sells these for about 20 euros I think.

But to be honest if you need one of these I would just forget about bringing it over, as the transformers are not intended to be used for extended periods. Your warrenty will be void (if you could return it to the states) and there is no guarentee it won't fry your device. I would shell out a few quid more and buy locally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

DSCN0638_resize.JPG

This is a pic of my old adapter

Advertisement