Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

general burning CD questions

• 14-03-2001 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

I seem to have a load of albums where there's one or two songs I like and I can't stand the rest. I've been making custom CDs out of them but some songs come out bad - like the CD is skipping cos it's scratched (but it's not).

I think the general diagnosis of this problem is buffer under-runs. I've seen ads for CD-RW drives that claim to solve the problem but have no intention of shelling out for one when some songs come out fine so the drive is capable of doing it right. Anybody ever heard of a software fix?

I heard that if you convert the MP3s to WAVs first it usually helps. Is there some sort of plug-in or something for win-amp that will do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yep try converting to wav first, although theres no need if your takin off other albums anyway..

winamp standard comes with a disk writer plugin that will output WAV format files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Try burning at the lowest speed, then if that works, try the next, etc.
    Also, if it's an IDE drive, always reboot before burning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Another possiblity is that the mp3's that fail to work might be encoded differently (Faffenheour (sp?) vs Xing etc.) and when the burning software converts them it has probs.

I noticed this when my Mp3 player wouldn't play some songs.

So maybe update your burning software and of course the previous stuff about outputting to wav first will also work.

hmmm 999 posts....

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

I use MusicMatch and have never had any problems. Might be an option if you’re looking for a software solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What CD mastering software are you using? I use Nero burning rom, and it works fine with mp3s every time on my iomega 4x4x24 IDE cdrw.

- Munch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

try quitting all apps, after a fresh re-boot (use ctrl-alt-del if needed). also f i use the net while burning, then the cd sometimes gets wrecked.

-smoke
    www.leet-skillz.com
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator!!</font>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

A buffer under-run is more likely to halt the process altogether.

2 dif things are mentioned here, one is taking Wav's from existing albums the other is from Mp3.
    Basically if you get popping on your CD, play the WAV files you encoded from on your HDD.
    If the WAVs are okay then lower your burn speed, use better CD's or get a better quality CD burner.
    If the WAVs also pop then find the CD-Audio extraction options, you should be able to lower the Read speed here.

The combo. I use at home is:

AudioGrabber - For extraction and MP3 encoding using the LAME encoder plugin.
    Very fast, best quality I've found, encodes the CDDB info into the ID3 tags, lots of options for setting your extraction speeds etc. There's also a plugin for it that removes Pop/crackle from WAV's.

Nero 5 - For the actual CD burning.

Advertisement