Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doom (2005)

• 30-11-2004 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

Under production at the moment. The Rock is gonna play a hgh ranking marine (Sgt Kelly ?) and yer man Eomer from LOTR is playing Doom guy.
    I don't know how this movie is gonna work, they're giving Doom guy a name "John Grimm" :eek:
    And they are not basing it on Mars nor or they implicately saying its Hell attacking, but its "implied".

I only hope and pray they don't **** this up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

McClane wrote:
    I only hope and pray they don't **** this up.
    Ah, but you know they will.

I wish they would realise that video game plots are meant for video games, not movies, and leave it as such. Its often stupidity to think that they can flesh out something that is often written only to get you from one room to the other into a full blown 90 minute script that will engage.

Or maybe they don't, and just know that people will pay to see it for the name only. Actually, thats probably a lot more like it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭McClane

Probably! but Doom isn't just another video game as i'm sure you know. Its Doom :D

"And on the third day Carmack said ...let there be Doom ...and it was good!"

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I hear Meryl Streep is playing a cacodemon

at least stallone or swartz aren't playing Doom guy :)

That would be ............... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

doom the game has very little plot
    what chance does this have

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

as much as any schwarzenegger film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Whats needed;
    • R rating
    • Lots of violence
    • For it to be banned in @ least 2 countries due to violence of a graphic nature
    • Every parents/children group to protest against it
    • No plot
    • Big muscle dude, small brain, no intelligence
    • Ex-marine/speical ops (perferably a black ex-priest turned marine; the christain zealots will hate this)
    • Start off with a chainsaw, and after decapitating someone with it, pick up their shotgun
    • No intention of a sequel
    • Depactations, hacking of limbs, shotgun blasts to the head, etc
    When I say violent, I mean I want violent! And Doom has to be violent.
    Plot Outline: In the year 2145, a group of Marines on Phobos, the moon of Mars, face off against monsters who infiltrate their base after an experiment goes seriously awry.
    .The trick will be making it gory enough.I hope they let it rip coz lets face it.People who were wheened on Doom 1 & 2 have got to be at least 17 by now.I say go with an R rating and everyone who used to play Doom will go and see it.The first Mortal Kombat movie was okay but I remember many fans complaining about the lack of blood-n-guts.Doom (with a title like Doom) should be expected to deliver shotgun blasts to the face,bloody body parts chained to the wall,and some serious chainsaw action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Oo a friend of mine is working in wardrobe on location in Prague .. must hit her for some inside info on what its going to be like when she is home at xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

McClane wrote:
    at least stallone or swartz aren't playing Doom guy :)

That would be ............... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, that would be excessive use of smileys indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It'll be watered-down a-la AvP and will get a 12s rating (and as such, will be a disaster)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

TmB wrote:
    It'll be watered-down a-la AvP and will get a 12s rating (and as such, will be a disaster)

I can not but agree.... :(

Just be thankful Uwe Ball is'nt involved.

Been banned in countries doesn't say much, Austrailia banned Half Life 2 (or were talking about it) and they only let grand theft auto release there after the developers cut down the violence and yet they let Doom 3 just sail in :cool:

Obviously no movie can ever compare to Doom the game. As long as i have shotguns, mutilated bodies and corpses preferably with several gunshot wounds to the head and guts (i'm getting images of half blown off faces here :D ) and they don't make the cyberdemon a little bitch that can be killed with a large amount of explosives and a cool phrase like "see ya in hell" i'll be happy.

Doom has a plot, you never read it ???

Doom storyline.

"kill stuff. the end"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 chunk 3:16

its sad i know but we all know this is gonna suck ass :mad:
    which is a shame.
    the original director was an irish guy but he left or got
    ****canned because when the rock came aboard they decided
    to make a 12s movie and he wouldnot stand for it.
    so fair play to him but now we are left with a **** director :mad:
    the guy who directed exit wounds.

so we wont get the loads of gore and violencee that we
    want. no need. no deserve :mad:

does anyone want the directors cell number here in praha
    phone him up and order him not to **** it up

i dont think it will work but worth a try

oh and i think it is set on mars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 chunk 3:16

oh and one more thing that **** dexter fletcher
    from lock stock and two smoking barrels is also in it :( :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Actually " the irish guy" Enda McCallion did not leave because he didnt wanna do a 12 film, he left because the production company wanted a more xperienced director, so basically he was sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

No Gore?! then how am I supposed to get an erection?

(and by that I mean movies don't have to be bloody to be great, and you never know, this movie just might be great.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

That's... er... interesting?

Movies may not need to be bloody to be great, or even good, but seen as this is an adaption of one of the original 'video game nasties' it would only make sense for it to be bloody as hell.

But your right, it might be good.. who can truly see that far ahead?

But it probablly won't be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A doom film without gallons of gore is not a doom film and undeserving of the name. If they make it 12s it will be either crap or else it won't 'be' doom.

And I have respect for dexter fletcher. Liked him in lock stock and band of brothers and feel sorry for him because of the abuse he gets for doing gamesmaster. He poor guy had to put up with an awful lot of **** during that series according to dave perry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Who cares if they **** it up ? Doom is just an action packed gun crazy no story mindless fun game anyway. Its not like they are making Half Life or System Shock. Doom always had a terrible story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I wish they would realise that video game plots are meant for video games, not movies, and leave it as such. Its often stupidity to think that they can flesh out something that is often written only to get you from one room to the other into a full blown 90 minute script that will engage.

I dont know.. I mean look at resident evil that was great.. eh.. good..ehh ok, complete crap.

Now Half life and half life 2 would make a good film, as would far cry (the outdoors parts anyway)... doom? would require too much action to pay homage to the game and would be a bitty movie at best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metal Gear solid would make a great film. Theres plenty of other games with movie quality storylines. Its the choice of game to make into a film thats wrong. I mean Mario Bros.??

Half life would definitely not make a good film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Final Fantasy 7, now theres a film oppertunity right there, with it it would be hard to get the whole story in any less than 2 films, best game story ever tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's F*cked. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

I reckon most games wouldn't make a good direct translation to screenplay simply because of the way they're structured narratively.
    There is a difference in writing story for games and for the screen.
    Add to that the fact that many of the games above mentioned are often a combination of ideas either inspired by or directly ripping off (sometimes both) movies books etc
    Doom ironically would probably be one of the better ideas if you kept it schlock and had had somebody like raimi or romero direct.
    I read there's gonna be a Halo movie....ringworld anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

My God. It's going to be nothing but bad news from here on in I'd suspect. And if that article is true that they've eliminated all references to hell, and basically everything that made the game DOOM. All it has is a well known name and a totally different plot.

I personally am gonna buy a load of cheap blank cd's and download the film for everyone I know, cause they wont stop making this crap until people stop paying to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I don't like the sound of Swat team guys, and the lack of hell relation.
    Seems to me if you're going to change those things why call it Doom? (I know I know, to reel in all the geeks like me who'll see it based on the title despite the fact that they've heard about the huge differences from the source material).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Crucifix wrote:
    I don't like the sound of Swat team guys, and the lack of hell relation.
    Seems to me if you're going to change those things why call it Doom? (I know I know, to reel in all the geeks like me who'll see it based on the title despite the fact that they've heard about the huge differences from the source material).
    It's like I, Robot they are simply ripping off the name recognition of a piece of work and totally ignoring the source material. Assholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/041203i.php
    A correspondent of Novinky.Cz recently attended the Prague set of "Doom" and reported back a well spring of information in regards to the video game adaptation.

Originally, the $70 million film was supposed to be helmed by Enda McCallion. Later, he was replaced by Andrzej Bartkowiak. Screenwriter Dave Callahan claims "everyone was keen to keep the game's atmosphere", though there are some "minor" changes done to the film's concept: The monsters have nothing to do with hell, the plot is not taking place on Mars and "space marines" are not well "space marines" as their outfits are more like SWAT team members.

The story follows eight marines, teleported into a command centre of a secret base on a remote planet. There, they learn that something strange is happening and soon monsters start to appear. The monsters aren't from hell, but rather people mutated by some nasty super-virus although the monsters look very similar to those in the game.

One character is a technician called "Pinky" who has a cybernetic wheelchair thanks to a bad teleporting accident. Pinky later mutates into something remotely resembling a creature from Doom 3. Producers claim that the film will be more of a horror than an action shooter.

There will be loads of shooting though, especially in the end where a large number of sequences will be shot purely in "first-person" perspective of the leading character (Karl Urban). The chainsaw and Bio Force Gun do appear in the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

There are books made along the Doom story line, but as said already about AvP there were great books written around that story too but they were also ignored. (There were certain details taken from the book but not the plot)

Advertisement