Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the Broadband Gov'ment tells me I have?

Options
  • 30-11-2004 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

The Goverment web site, if you put in "patrickswell" lists a half dozen Broadband suppliers apart from the useless Satellite suppliers.

These seem to be fictional.

"Irish Broadband" apparently got a Limerick Licence in 2003, but lists no Limerick areas.

One of the Listed suppliers emailed me to say my line "failed". I pointed out this is impossible as the exchange has no DSLAM. He argued that "uninformed" people would not understand "unavailable", so they "fail" the lines!

Fostering the illusion of BB availability, but it is just your poor line!

Where can I order Wireless Broadband from?

Eircom will not fit any more ISDN to exchange or a Dslam.
    Satellite is too expensive for working two way always on, and you can't host anything.

Even a German style "always on" over 2nd ISDN channel would suit my needs and ISDN would work if they fitted the gear (Eircom admits it would).

Why is provison so unimaginative and why is the bulk of Wireless Broadband apparently in areas that can get NTL cable, Chorus cable or aDSL?

Any ideas on Wireless Broadband.

(Don't tell me about the MidWest WAN org. That is CB radio, not Internet access).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

couldn't agree more i actually am on an enabled exchange but there seems no way to et anyone to make eircom fix the lines, i believe ibb (or maybe digiweb) has the local license for wireless but there is no sign of anything been put in place. so a year + after exchange upgrade no sign of broadband, my line fails due to a mini exchange box about a mile down the road (all lines past this box fail)
    i despair of ever getting broadband in the e-tub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Leap are now offering broadband in Limerick, they have a sector on Woodcock Hill facing into Limerick. I'm not sure how far Patrickswell is from there. You need to speak with Bart Bonsall.
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hmm.. Leap seems to be 199 per month for cheapest pack. A bit steep!

I think the other respondant missed the point.

My line didn't fail. It wasn't even tested. In fact it is likely to pass as it is less than 900m and the last 100m replaced recently. All less than 16 years old underground cable.

The company said the line failed, when the real reason for no broadband from any of the companies listed is no-one in Patrickswell can have Broadband, there is no DSLAM fitted in the exchange. The trigger program would seem to need more people than actually use computers, and possibly more than the number of Eircom accounts.

Irish Broadband has had a licence since 2003. They claim they will start late January.

Chorus has PowerNet in Limerick area. But they have automatically "failed Line Of Sight" even on house next door to one with Chorus (same chimney!). I'm not sure that they are adding any new subs over the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The company that supplied the powernet equipment to chorus went bankrupt a year or two back, hence no more equipment and parts for repairs or new installs. No further orders have been taken since and the eventual closure of the service some time in the future is expected.

Advertisement