Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louis Walsh - Auditions in the Pod last saturday

Options
  • 26-02-2001 3:39am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I went along to the auditions for Louis Walsh's proposed new Irish rock group on Saturday in the Pod....after waiting for 6 hours(outside for the majority in the freezing cold..thus making the fingers freeze up and limit lead guitar speed) I finally got inside to be given about 30 seconds of lime light in front of a panel of judges... a bit crazy really...cos 30 seconds was not particularly much time to impress with....

anyone else go to it?...any opinions?...I'm intrigued as to how they shall pick a band from the snippet of others that I saw performing....most were fairly ordinary I thought....anyway....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I have a feeling that this Irish rock group is going to be signed on what Louis see's rather than hears. He has a good idea in his head that his band must be outspoken puppets similar to Marilyn Manson and Eminen. He is wants the right look and then he will sort the music out in the studio. I can see this band being the "bad boys of Irish Rock" already.

By the way I am more than happy to sit behind my computer and be cynical about this venture safe in the knowledge that I'll never be good enough to be in a succesful rock band :d

thefanj.gif

Clan Acid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

The key to success isnt being able to play l33t lead guitar riffs or being able to hammer out kickin slap bass intros and riffs. Its a combination of being able to write "quality" songs and being in the right place at the right time.
    Being able to compose good melodies is the key.

If the bottom falls out of your world, drink Andrews and the world will fall out of your bottom!!
    games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

"Yeah, so we are like computer nerds, who like play guitar n stuff, and we like, ya know got a band like, and then we like wrote songs, and thats how we became like, famous dude. Ye we were just ordinary nerds posting on boards.ie. Our name? We are, like, "The Wellies" dude!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

yeah I could see it now, the judge stands up with his megaphone:

"sorry guys, but you're just too damn loud"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

In the wise words of a band called "Charger" (who recently played support to Amen in Temple Bar)...
    "Volume Over Talent"

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

a m8 of mine went on to those auditions and being out and about with them the previous night getting quite jolly and leary they all agreed to give this audition a shot. Being a hard working bunch, all four of them woke up early and were seen having breakfast around nine o'clock in the morning (most of you were asleep by then or just going to bed) and they proceeded to venture into the Pod where they waited, or should i say slept on the comfy couch supplied in the chocolate bar for about 5 hours untill their turn is up.

their almost 30 seconds of fame were over...
    later the drummer told me one of the judges heads was boppin' ... whatever that means.

next week - EPISODE 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

in my opinion, its horrific that louis walsh should start a rock band.

rock bands are not meant to be "manufactured" or started by auditioning hundreds of people. rock music can not be churned out or written by hired guns in the way that pop music is.

sure, they will be popular amongst many (probably the westlife/boyzone brigade) but will probably be hated by true rock'n'roll
    fans.

"you'd be paranoid too, if everyone was out to get you..."

[quaote]rock bands are not meant to be "manufactured" or started by auditioning hundreds of people. rock music can not be churned out or written by hired guns in the way that pop music is.[/quote]

the way the music industry id going these days it is the only way that new bands can get noticed. as we already know it's all about the money and the charts are fixed (argue with me on this on a new thread) these days. i have heard so many great bands in dublin yet they are still not signed and being spread all over the world. the reason: music industry has the final say on who makes it and who doesnt. not the public.

and if louis walsh is starting a "manufactured" rock band there is no shame in applying cause once you get your music in the mainstream, you will stay there once your music is credible that is. ennnnngggguknnnnnn

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

the point is, these musicians will audition to be put in a band with a few guys they have never before met, be told what to do, sing, play, wear, say etc etc. thats how the likes of louis walsh works and you cannot say that such a band has talent unless they actually write their own stuff.

pick'n'mix bands like this are no way to nurture talent.
    it just won't work for rock music

"you'd be paranoid too, if everyone was out to get you..."

I think there is shame in signing for somone like Louis Walsh. At the end of the day he will decided what songs you put out, what you say in interviews etc etc. Your own goals will be ignored while he leaches every possible penny out of you and as soon as you stop being the big thing he drops you and your forgotten about. Sure you'll make some money but is that why you started a rock band? Hopefully people are still starting rock bands as a way of expressing themselves.

The other route of course is to stay with the minor labels and work your ass off to get a live following. Word of mouth is still a powerful medium and the record company's can't control it as they do with television. Bands can make a good living for themselves with ever breaking through into the mainstream. They have to work their asses off but so do main stream bands.

It's always tempting to take what appears to be the easier optition. ie signing for Louis Walsh and letting him call the shots but anybody who has ever seen the amount of work that groups under Louis Walsh have to do will tell you it hard. Once you've signed you have no get out clause so you either do what he says or you get sued of everything you have earned from music.

thefanj.gif

Clan Acid

• Advertisement

that sounds so scary what Fanj says. Louis if youre listening, please say this aint true.... anyway, as i said my friends went to audition there as a band and not someone that will be hand picked and thrown into the outfit itself.

i'd love to see music being seen just as music, and not some over advertised pop mtv goo (or anything we see these days on mtv) thats only there to leech money from the joe public.

nevertheless i will sit and wait to see this weird and wonderful thing of a manufactured "rock band" thats in creation in a laborotory somewhere on the outskirts of dublin. (or mayo, for the ppl outside the pale)
    ennnnngggguknnnnnn

adnans

Tom, the way you portray Louis Walsh is as some sort of demon from the hellmouth itself!!! He's no different from any other band manager (and I've met a few). The simple fact of the matter is he's had great success in recent years, but he's been doing it a long time (first with Linda Martin and Johnny Logan - both Eurovision winners). If he want's to change musical style, then he can. I agree that Rock Music can't so much be manufactured but needs to be a good blend of each musician expressing him/herself as best they can through writing and playing in a group.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Well you can't deny his business acumen and ability to make a success of those he manages - but in interviews he comes across as one of the most pompous cretins you could ever hope to not meet in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I ****1n hate this ****, interviews for a 'rock band'. Fair enuf 1000's of lads and lassies show up, afterward they say they have a bass player and a drummer, but no lead nor a singer..

Great, another band in the charts doing nothing but big smiles, playing covers, just what we need..

Walsh was quoted as saying he was putting together a rock band, like Duran Duran

Good to see he's keeping with the times smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 28-02-2001).]

Louis Walsh is the offspring of Satan and Courtney Love! EVIL I tell ya.

You don't release his power. My younger sister is a teenybopper (yes I know it’s my fault I should have been harder on her frown.gif. It took me months of hard graft to get her off Boyzone and then what does Louis do? He releases Westlife and when I thought I was making progress with them frown.gif out comes Samantha Mumba. No anybody who promotes acts like that deserves that Chinese torture "refer to Humour/this ones for the boys". Crap like that does not help the music industry in the long run.

The fragile minds of little children are being destroyed everyday. I think we need to rally against Louis Walsh and hold protest outside his offices.

Of course I could take the view that it's still rock music and it's better than pop. Bah there are enough good rock bands out there so I can avoid a pop, rock, Walsh mix.

For a list of good rock bands all you need to do is get me drunk and mention music. I'll keep talking as long as the beer flows. smile.gif

thefanj.gif

Clan Acid

ooh!

It's boards.ie's very own version of Popstars!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

One thing people are forgetting...

He's a culchie! The man is from Kiltimagh (in Mayo) and people from there are strange by default (my Mum's from there).

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

that explains it so...

Uncle Daddy syndrome smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

You may have to wade through 101 premade, prepackaged groups but eventually you will find real talent.

If a person or a group really has something new or funky to offer then simply by word of mouth they will get well known.

Just look at the Dave Matthews Band in the states, pure grass roots movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

he's not actually trying to make a proper ROCK band. He said it would be a rock/pop band, along the lines of what Savage Garden are doing.

i went along to the pod.

i got a call back.

no. that's just not true.

i slept.

tct

eek.gif

I'm a bicycle!!

I'm offended.

BAN THAT GUY!

In all seriousness....the greatest place on earth!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

anyone hear if anyone got into this band or not?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

any news on this?

nothing as of yet. there is a new breed of rock/pop bands coming out though. www.reel.ie and they are armed with guitars and those drummy yokes (i dont know the name)

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Scon

Originally posted by El_Presidente
    You may have to wade through 101 premade, prepackaged groups but eventually you will find real talent.

If a person or a group really has something new or funky to offer then simply by word of mouth they will get well known.

Just look at the Dave Matthews Band in the states, pure grass roots movement.

DMB have a very noticeable bluegrass influence but I wouldn't call them what you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"music industry" - i despise that term, music shouldn't be about industry. Industries are about money and nothing else when you get right down to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Wait a Second. It seems SCON went and searched for the Dave mathews band or something. STOP POSTING IN OLD THREADS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

ok lets not forget that linkin park were manufactured, while linkin park might not be the best band i the world they got the listeners, this desnt bode well for the music community cause once the industry realises it can manufacture all kinds of groups they will, nothing will be sacred. and personally id rather go and see a good normal band than a fantastic made up one, its the principle of the thing.

bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

everyone seems to be forgetting that this is the gobsh!te that said that rock was dead! and now he turns around and decides it's the next big thing, and wants to exploit it to make even more money out of the gullible public!

hypocrite!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Haha... It would have been cool if there had to have been a death metal band auditioning in front of him. I wonder what he'd say...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

SCON YOU ****ING DIP**** STOP BRINGING BACK TOPICS FROM LAST ****ING YEAR!!!

Advertisement