Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own projector

Options
  • 30-11-2004 12:24pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is weird. Would you really do this to a TFT CLICK ME

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

thats pretty cool... for 300 bucks...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Ill do it if i can get my hands on a overhead projector

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Wow, I really want a projector now :eek:
    Wouldn't be building one of those though, far too messy for my liking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Whers Dub he's mad enough to probably have the parts lyin around and to attempt it as soon as he reads it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

i'll be trying that in about 2 weeks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

already looking into it :D im getting married in 5 weeks in maurtius and only the two of us are going ...so when we get back we are having a party for the family ..anyhow we are going to record the wedding on video and we are planning on showing it on the night of the party ..seems none of our families are coming with us...i was asking around on the "computer forum" about renting or borrowing a projector for the night ...and madm had told me about the write up on tomshardware ...i can borrow the overhead projector from work... but i was going to buy a cheap laptop this week for the parts cos im rebuilding this little baby http://www.cappuccinopc.com/cappuccinotx3.asp which i have lying around about 2 years now...anyhow im wondering could i use the 15" laptop tft... if so how do i rig up the display to a to the source of the video "i.e. connecting the graphics to the screen ...so any ideas are welcome ..if it works it post some pics on T/M :rolleyes:

also just finishing of a new watercooling setup with an external submearged 3000 lph pump ..and also some :eek: ammonium nitrate :eek: "yes i know it an explosive" but it is also what cold packs are made of ..and i can get this stuff to -10c ive got lots of it ...the only problem is it only stays cold for about an hour without the heat dispensed from the cpu into it ...so im trying to make somekind of condenser to re-use over and over it would be good for benchmarking as is ...but condension will cuase problems for prolonged use aswell ..but if i insulate everything like a vapochill set-up it will work... ill post pics soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh dub becarefull with condensation, u could damage stuff easy with condensation problems, loads of dielectic grease allover d socket and sourounding board parts ;)

yes im going to run it on a mickey mouse system "not tee mickey mouse " ;) first ive got an old AMD system in the loft somewhere so ill run it on that first ...they sell large tubes of terminal grease in maplins ...its the same as the stuff you get with the vapochill so ill cover it in that ...but im just thinking will the fact that the 775 chip the pins are on the board and not the chip will this make any difference
    ...i was going to try and put an encloser around the CPU area "similar to a gaskit "to keep the condansion contained ..maybe made of prespex and silocloned to the mobo :rolleyes: just an idea ....then again i see the UCD sell Liquid Nitrogen for only 2 euro a liter and UCG is only 1.50 euro ...only snag is you have to have the right nitrogen dewar to pick it up in ...and they arent cheap to buy plus it has to be on wheels ...so if anyone out the has on give me a shout :D as i have being looking into it :eek: :eek:

P.S. sorry nukem for steeling your thread ...ill get back into my box now :(

a mate of mine is planning on setting up an LN2 system some time, i think cascade is the way to go for you instead, not too bad to set up and great results, up to -150 degrees c , could be gr8 craic to set up ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Nah dub drive on,sounds class.
    Give us some pics if ya can would love to see how this woks out ;)
    What are you overclocking?

Also Elmer pics would be nice dont forget us,would love to see it done by someone here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

didn't toms hardware oc a P4 with liquid nitrogen to 5.25Ghz or something?

i belive that the 6ghz has been broken with it ......but remember it wont run stable at those speeds...but nice all the same .......i found a new case for my next pc in the for-sale forum here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

why wouldn't it run stable?

because it is stressing the cpu and memory too much, like if u try and oc a p4 2.8 to 4.0 on air or somthin,u mite be able to get into windows if ur lucky, but u wont be using it for anythin, LOL

I gave this a bash and the results are pretty good a few things to note

the overhead projector needs to be really clean and bright - the one i tired it on has marks on the lens and mirror and on the plate too

not all tfts will work - i tried it with a 15" philips - about 1/4 was covered on the bottom by the signal connection

all in all though it was fun to try and i had nothing to lose as it wasn't my stuff.

the tft was about 2cm off the plate and didn't heat up too much - i didn't use a fan for the 40 min enterprise episode

Nige

What i'd like to know is where did you get the projector as i wouldnt mind giving it a go myself.

Jozi

there was one in the office i tried it on - i'd say buy and sell is probably your best bet.

i guess you could also buy one new - atleast it'd be completely scratch free :)

Nige

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Not sure if this is any help to you guys, i didnt read the terms and conditions on this site so im not sure if you have to be with a school to buy these but:

Overhead projector €313

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I've done this and it rocks.

Got a tft off ebay with a broken backlight for 50quid and an ohp from the locak buy and sell.

8 foot movies for 150euro. Couldn't beat it with a big stick. I'll post pics when i get home.

Few small pics.
    Worked pretty well dont you think. The projector is crap, but what do you expect for €50

• Advertisement

Looks good, keeping an eye out for projectors.

Jozi

looks good dman - can you take a pic of the ohp and lcd on it - just wondering how you decided to tie it up :)

Its a fairly temporary job :) insulating tape & polysyrene to raise the screen up. I screwed the boards to the side of the projector (pic 2) so they wouldnt get damaged.

If anyone wants this ohp the can have it for €50 plus p&p. It works great, just i cant bring it back to uni so i'm going to get a portable one instead.

you selling the whole unit projector and tft screen?

if so might be interested

Jozi

Just the projector on its own. You interested?

I'm trying to get a portable ohp.

The projector, yeah maybe.
    Is it in good condition, no burn or bent parts?

Jozi

I dont know what you mean by burnt.....

Its an Elite Viewrite II and it says Turbo on the side :D

Tis aincient but like i say it works fine.

Advertisement