Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have a webserver with eircom bband ?

• 30-11-2004 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has a web server working on their eircom broadband ? I am using the Netopia router supplied by Eircom and have port forwarding etc all set up right.

Only problem is when I try access it etc I get a port 80 refusing connections error. Do eircom block port 80 all of a sudden ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i ran a webserver during the summer with no problems
    cant comment about now tho.

when you try to allow port 80 traffic in the applications menu it warns you that about some function still being active.
    you have to disable this first iirc.

havent used it in a while so if youve no answer by this eveing ill set it up and let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dessied

Thanks for the reply Chalky, and would appreciate if you could try later on.

I had one running a while ago too with no problems. Have since moved house, and using same eircom service but running into this problem now for some reason.

Beginning to bug me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need to setup inward rules on your firewall

You need to set your Web server to only accept 3 or 4 simultanous connections so you can still have sme bandwidth.

It doen't matter if it Linux, NT4.0 Server, WinXp personal Web server or whatever, you need full security patching. Join security mailing lists such as NTBugtraq for Windows/IIS. Others exist for Solaris, Linux, etc.

Hosted SMTP and HTTP for several years on NT4.0 / IIS4.0 via firewall. But NOT the default settings. And a few patches needed.

Make sure directory browsing is impossible and all surlus scripts etc not on the PC / Server at all.

Remove all unused server page methods.

Dont think a firewall is theproblem as I dont have one set up yet.

Here a bit more info I noticed yesterday..,.

When I reset the Netopia router I get a new WAN IP assigned. If I then use the Visual Tracert tool it can access and find my webserver fine IF i only use the new IP address.

However if I then update my Dyndns host name with the new IP address, after the DNS setting has proliferated, the newly assigned IP address then begins to give me connection rejected messages....weird.

Just to clarify, on the Netopia router I:

1. Changed the router web server to use port 8080
    2. Set up a pinhold for port 80 to my local PC port 80

Thansk again

Thanks to all for your input. Got this resolved by adding HTTP as a service from the Netopia advanced control panel and dropping the use of pinholes at all.

Click here to see other forum on this topic

Thx again

• Advertisement
Advertisement