Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got a webserver running with eircom bband ?

Options
  • 30-11-2004 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has a web server working on their eircom broadband ? I am using the Netopia router supplied by Eircom and have port forwarding etc all set up right.

Only problem is when I try access it etc I get a port 80 refusing connections error. Do eircom block port 80 all of a sudden ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah it works fine for me, your best bet is to go through the netopia settings againn, Make sure to save and restart the router after a few changes, mine did give me probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dessied

Thanks for your reply Superman. Ive rechecked and reset the Netopia box a couple of times now but no joy as yet. I think you're right though that you have to keep trying with the Netopia router for a while.

Here a bit more info I noticed yesterday..,.

When I reset the Netopia router I get a new WAN IP assigned. If I then use the Visual Tracert tool it can access and find my webserver fine IF i only use the new IP address.

However if I then update my Dyndns host name with the new IP address, after the DNS setting has proliferated, the newly assigned IP address then begins to give me connection rejected messages....weird.

I have another Netopia router at home which I think Ill try but if you have any more info Id be grateful.

Just to clarify, on the Netopia router I:

1. Changed the router web server to use port 8080
    2. Set up a pinhold for port 80 to my local PC port 80

Thansk again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

dessied wrote:
    Just to clarify, on the Netopia router I:

1. Changed the router web server to use port 8080
    2. Set up a pinhold for port 80 to my local PC port 80

Thansk again

That should work fine, I had a few problems with the netopia myself but never gave it much of a fiddle cause I was changing the box.
    If you are thinking of getting a better router/wireless I strongly recomend you ook at the wrt54g by linksys because it is wifi G/B and works very good with the netopia's (when they are set to gateway mode). also it has a verygood feature that allows the router itself to update the dyndns.org thing.
    anyway good look to ya, I hope ya get it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Rather than adding pinholes for a web server go to Advanced | Software Hosting and under the Services tab add HTTP. Much less hassle than the pinholes.

If your server uses port 8080 add it as a pin hole remebering to specify the correct Internal IP Address.
    Remember to check your Internet Connection Firewall (if on XP) settings.

I'm not familiar with DynDNS - I use DynIP - 20 US dollars a year and it runs as a service and automatically updates xxxxx.dynip.com each time your IP address changes - highly recommended.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dessied

#
    Hey Monomaniac - that did the biz, thanks for your help. I didnt see that option in the advanced controlpanel before, a lot easier than pinholes.

Thanks to all for your help...

• Advertisement
Advertisement