Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Deeds

Options
  • 30-11-2004 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I've lost the deeds to some property that I own. It's not a house, just a number of acres of land. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone have any idea what my next step is in getting new deeds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Not 100% sure but there should be a record of the deeds at the land registry office and it might be possible to get them re-issued based on that, but I do feel that a solicitor will probably be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

As far as I remember if nothing can be found on register, you have to swear in front of a judge(rather than at him) that you own the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Was this a land registry certificate that you lost? , if it is your really up the creek, where as if it was a registry of deeds go to your solicitor and tell them you lost the deeds and see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

As far as i know, you file for ownership. A search is carried out on the records for the property and if after a certain amount of time (few years) no other claims come in for the land then it is yours.

Sorry i know its a bit vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be aware that you need to assert your ownership of the land, by (a) occupying it (b) excluding others (within reason, let the postman, etc. in :D). Talk to your solicitor about adverse possession.

• Advertisement
Advertisement