Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line passed eircom test, now i have questions!

• 30-11-2004 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭

Im not a pc noob but i am a bit of a bb noob!

Have just got a phone line connected from eircom and it passes the BB test. First things first, are there better packages available for €40 a month than the eircom one (im in dun laoire so no ntl bb :()

if there isnt, im planning on getting the trial first and getting the wireless router. Can anyone recommend a wireless card for my pc that would be compat with the router?

does it normally take them long to sort out the bb once u order it?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,972 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Typically about a week to ship out the modem..

Very easy to set-up... should be up and running within a week and a half anyways.

Thank fu*k you don't to wait for Eircom to send you out passwords anymore.. i got BB in last December (reminds me.. my year contract is almost up). Rang them up a week after recieving the modem and complained i hadn't received my password. Said they had sent it out and that they weren't supposed to give out passwords over the phone but if i gave them a few personal details and providing i was ringing off the phone i subscribed to Broadband with.. they could make an exception. They gave me my password and i got set up no problem.

Then.... almost a month and a half later, my password arrived in the post!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Cyrus wrote:
    does it normally take them long to sort out the bb once u order it?
    Took em' bloody almost 4 weeks to sort out mine :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

If you are going for adsl use EsatBT instead of Eircom. Anything but eircom. Their cap is just a mockery of the word broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Eircoms pings are better, plus they're not charging for going over the cap.

But yeah, Eircom themselves, blegh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

anyone recommend a wireless card?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cyrus wrote:
    anyone recommend a wireless card?

Generally people recommend that you go for the same manufacturer as your router. I notice that nobody has given you any recommendations for a router yet but there are some good prices available at the moment for 'all in ones' (i.e. including modem) which can simplify things. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend but the Linksys Wag 54g and the Netgear DG834g are available in IT direct at the moment for about 120 euros and a wireless card g type is in or around 50 euros but you will also find some bundles on line with the wireless card thrown in pretty cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Cap stuff split off to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

there is a free wireless router now with the eircom deal thinking of going for that? so what would be a good pci wireless card for me?

Advertisement