Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Nokia 6230

Options
  • 30-11-2004 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Im a bill phone customer with Vodafone and have been for a year.

I have a Sony Ericsson T610 and am now looking to upgrade.

I had a look at the Upgrades available to me and the one phone which
    stood out was the Nokia 6230.

This apperas to be the only phone that has everything camera, mp3 player radio, ability to record video footage with sound.

All of this for 179 Euros

What I want to know is how other people who have this phone have found it.

Also I am aware that it has an MMC card in it - Are these cards standard and are they the same type of cards that can be put in to digital cameras.

I was considering getting a Gigabyte MMC card and sticking it in and then I would be able to hold a few hundred songs on my phone and play them through the MP3 player on it. This should work shouldnt it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

scribs wrote:
    I was considering getting a Gigabyte MMC card and sticking it in and then I would be able to hold a few hundred songs on my phone and play them through the MP3 player on it. This should work shouldnt it ?

I think it only supports up to 128MB memory cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

I think it only supports up to 128MB memory cards.

It will support a 1gb card. It does depend on what the make of the card is. If you check out the support forum on expansys there is a lot of info about it on their. I

I have one myself, but personally wouldn't spend extra money on another memory card for listening to mp3s. You could buy a really good mp3 player for not a lot extra. The mp3 playback does sound good, but sometimes the headphones are a bit dodgy, i.e. switching from stereo to mono. Dosn't happen so much on the mp3 player but I would notice it more on the radio. The picture quality is good, and the video playback is excellent if you download .3gp files. You could watch simpsons or anything else that you convert to .3gp and the quality is very good.
    As far as recording motion, it is a bit of fun but you wouldn't record anything important on it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Yeah sorry, should have said that Nokia will only support them up to 128MB, but some people have been able to use larger cards with no problems. It does seem a bit hit and miss though - some cards work fine and others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

cheers guys will check out expansys

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

I have a 512meg card in mine and it is working fine. You are going need either a card reader of some description or a data cable and some patience.

Don’t use the radio much so I can’t comment there but as said already the mp3’s sound fine.

If you pop a load of mp3’s into a folder there is no way to have them play one after another, you have to hit the up arrow to cycle to each new song (meaning there is no random option either.). Plus there is no sorting available which can make finding what you want a bit crappy. /*note: please somebody correct me if I am wrong on any of this */

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Wookie wrote:
    I have a 512meg card in mine and it is working fine. You are going need either a card reader of some description or a data cable and some patience.

Don’t use the radio much so I can’t comment there but as said already the mp3’s sound fine.

If you pop a load of mp3’s into a folder there is no way to have them play one after another, you have to hit the up arrow to cycle to each new song (meaning there is no random option either.). Plus there is no sorting available which can make finding what you want a bit crappy. /*note: please somebody correct me if I am wrong on any of this */

I've got a similar set up. 512mb card I ordered from Komplett which works perfectly and a 7-1 combo reader (reads pretty much every card under the sun) from IT direct.

Random play is is in the options/play options of the music player

Sorting the order of your music create a playlist on your PC like you would with any other mp3 player and use the software with the phone to copy it across to the playlist folder!

You can also fast forward and rewind mp3's on the 6230 and the sound quailty is excellent imho

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

LoGiE were do you put your mp3's? Cos when I open the music player it says Oops No Music files blah blah.

So then I copied an mp3 from 512card\music into the Music folder on the phones memory. Once I do this and open the music player it finds the track. But I still can point it to all my mp3's in 512card\music...?

scribs sorry for going slightly off topic on ya.

Wookie wrote:
    LoGiE were do you put your mp3's? Cos when I open the music player it says Oops No Music files blah blah.

So then I copied an mp3 from 512card\music into the Music folder on the phones memory. Once I do this and open the music player it finds the track. But I still can point it to all my mp3's in 512card\music...?

scribs sorry for going slightly off topic on ya.

Dont worry - means ill have less question to ask if I get this phone

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I firstly create folders onthe MMC with my card reader and copy over the mp3s because ittranfers the files very quickly. Your problem seems to be your not creating a playlist. Simply copying the mp3s to your phone is not enough. I found the following guide usefull when I first got my phone

2. Creating A Playlist
    =================================================================

1. Start Nokia Audio Manager
    2. Click in the top pane and then Click Edit -> Create New Playlist and give it a name.
    3. Click Transfer to Phone.
    4. Click the Playlist folder in the bottom pane.
    5. Highlight the playlist you just created and click Add in the bottom pane. You will see a list of all the
    MP3 and AAC music on your phone.
    6. Highlight the track you want to add (you can add multiple tracks by holding down Ctrl) and then click OK.
    Note: The tracks will be added in alphabetical order so it doesn't matter the order you click them.
    7. Click the + to the left of your playlist
    8. Select the tracks and use the up and down arrow icons to arrange the order they will play.

There are also many other tips at
    http://www.expansys.com/forum.asp?man=NOKIA&code=108417

Came across this list on Expansys are any of you using any of these brands on your Nokia 6230

These are cards that will work with Nokia6230 And cards that wont
    >
    >6230 COMPATIBLE MMC LIST
    >
    >APACER 128, 256
    >ATP 128, 256, 512
    >EXPANSYS 128, 256
    >EXTREMEMORY 128, 256
    >HITACHI 128, 256, 512
    >HTL 128, 256
    >KINGMAX 128, 256
    >KINGSTON 128
    >MICROSIM 32, 64, 128, 256, 512
    >MOBYMEMORY 128, 256, 512, 1GB
    >NCP NEXON 128, 256
    >NOKIA MMC CARDS 32, 64
    >PNY 128
    >PQI 64, 128
    >PRETEC 128, 256, 512, 1GB
    >RIDATA 64, 128, 256
    >SANDISK 64, 128
    >TAKEMS 64, 128, 256
    >TRANSCEND 64, 128
    >TWINMOSS 32, 64, 128
    >
    >MMC CARDS TO AVOID
    >KODAK 64, 128, 256- TOTALLY NOT COMPATIBLE KINGSTON 256, PQI 256 - best
    >to avoid coz having varied results among users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You can now get the 6230 for 49e if you move onto o2 onto the twenty plus tariff in CPW with a free MP3 player!
    You can move from Vodafone to o2 and get that offer and keep the same number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

Is there any chance that you can switch of the 20+ tariff to a lower tariff after a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I find the interface is quite cumbersome to use. And there's no select feature for when you want to do operations on multiple files (none that I can find anyway). I think the Symbian OS phones like the 7650 and its successors are much better (even if they might not have ALL the features).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

AFAIK you have to stay on it for 6 months. Although if you sign up now there's 3 months' free line rental so it's not too bad really.
    I'm pretty sure after 6 months you can change down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Had mine a few days now and so far no problems with it.. the only "annoyance" I can think of is the middle select/scroll button ican be a bit awkward to get it to do what you want occasionally - I think they'd have been far better leaving the left button as select, and the centre one for navigation only.

Other than that tho it's fine... radio is good, camera is alright (tho if you want perfect pics, buy a digital camera I think :)), it works fine with my laptop and Bluetooth (for GPRS web access) and the keypad lock with security code option is a feature LONG overdue on all nokia's I think...gone are the days when people can just pick it up and start messing, dialing australia while you're at the bar (I've seen it happen tho luckily not to me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭cheeky_monkey

Why don't you wait and get a 3G phone? I have the 6230 and it feels old now. The video and camera are both gimicky I don't use either anymore. I think the 6630 is good, 1.23mp and 10 mins of video. Not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Sorry for dragging up this old thread.. but I'm thinking of getting the same phone and was wondering from you guys that have the 1GB cards in yours, whats the battery life like?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 remus

is anyone having trouble keeping a bluetooth connection up between their nokia 6230 and a pc? I'm trying to create playlists and it seems to only hold a bluetooth connection for a few seconds. bluetooth headset works fine.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mines ok..have it running on the laptop as I speak :)

There was a bit of problems with drivers tho, but I updated to XP SP2 and put on the latest MSI SP2 compatible drivers for their USB Bluetooth adapter that I have and all's well since...

Might be worth checking for updates for what you're using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 remus

thanks, i'll try it. I'm also having connectivity problems with a data cable. when I click on playlist in Audio manager, the program freezes up so I can't create playlists or add any tracks to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement