Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the deal with old codgers in banks with passbooks?

• 30-11-2004 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Whats the deal with old codgers in banks with passbooks? I was in the bank the last 2 mornings and the bank wasn't particulary busy but I and several customers were held up by some old codger using a passbook. I thought those things had gone out with the ark. Whats the deal there?
    Have they not heard of a cash card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

there just doing it to annoy you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

the tellers are probably the only people who will talk to them all day.

Mr Burns wrote:
    Whats the deal with old codgers in banks with passbooks? I was in the bank the last 2 mornings and the bank wasn't particulary busy but I and several customers were held up by some old codger using a passbook. I thought those things had gone out with the ark. Whats the deal there?

I can't help but notice the irony in your avatar :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've got a passbook for one of my accounts!
    It's a savings account that I opened about 17 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

just wait til your an old codger with your chip and pin card as the kids queue behind you asking why you couldnt get the mircochip under your skin like everyone else.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

No one ever showed them how to use banklink cards

was once Qing at the banklink.
    This old fella was infront of me trying to figure out how to get cash out of the machine - he had received his banklink card on that very day.
    But no one had showed him how to use it.

Showed him how it worked and he was very greatful.

Its actually quite sad - I never want to end up like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah, but you will end up like that.

Because unfortunately lots of young people equate 'old' with 'stupid and incompetent'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

I got a passbook when I opened a savings account in AIB....never once used it....if I wanna get money out, I just use www.24hour-online.ie to transfer the money to my current account and withdraw it from there.
    You're "supposed" to get your book updated regularly, me...never. Will I enjoy the day I go in 2 get the book updated & there's hundreds of pages to be updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

deRanged wrote:
    I've got a passbook for one of my accounts!
    It's a savings account that I opened about 17 years ago.

me too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Mr Burns wrote:

Why were you in the bank?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

They are SAVINGS accounts.

They have HIGHER INTEREST.

i don't know about AIB but most banks still issue books for these accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Old gits. Taking up valuable living space and oxygen with their aged lungs. Should be put in a special hospice, or gassed like badgers (c) Alexei Sayle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Old gits. Taking up valuable living space and oxygen with their aged lungs. Should be put in a special hospice, or gassed like badgers (c) Alexei Sayle.

May your god help you when/if you get old. I'll be first in line to gas you just as soon as my zimmer frame re-charges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

i think he was kidding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

'The old don't need our care, they need to be isolated and studied to see whatever nutrients can be extracted from them for our personal use'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

They're largely unused any more but a lot of the older customers still have them from years ago and still want them as they're a pretty good way of keeping track of your finances if you rarely use your bank account (or if the account's a savings account). Spare a thought for the poor bank teller, when those customers come in you have to update the entire book for them which can sometimes take ages if the customer hasn't been in a branch for a couple of months and you've to add all the interest etc.

They used to drive me nuts when I worked for Bank of Ireland but you have to remember that this is what these people signed on for when they joined the bank i.e. when they actually gave a sh:t about their customers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Ah it reminds me of a Peter Kay gag, "Old people can't beat them, pity. Especially when they're trying to draw money from a pass machine with their blockbuster video card"

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Sleepy wrote:
    They're largely unused any more but a lot of the older customers still have them from years ago and still want them as they're a pretty good way of keeping track of your finances if you rarely use your bank account (or if the account's a savings account). Spare a thought for the poor bank teller, when those customers come in you have to update the entire book for them which can sometimes take ages if the customer hasn't been in a branch for a couple of months and you've to add all the interest etc.

They used to drive me nuts when I worked for Bank of Ireland but you have to remember that this is what these people signed on for when they joined the bank i.e. when they actually gave a sh:t about their customers...

New accounts with passbooks are generally not opened. Unless they have to be i.e. if the Bank is bullied or intimidated into opening one.

Passbooks are notoriously unreliable if not updated. Some people insist on the "what's in the passbook is what's in my account" attitude.

If there's a lot of transactions to update the Bank will retain the Passbook and update it over the next few days - and then post it out to the customer.
    That's done to avoid a queue building up.

Generally you'll find that most queues are caused by customers - not having account numbers / not filling out dockets etc, trying to ask non-cash related queries etc

The most ridiculous instances I encountered while a cashier were

1) Customer who thought he could change his PIN by simply "deciding in hismind the new number". He was oblivious to the fact that you have to follow a procedure on the ATM to change your PIN

2) Customer who lodged £100 to his account on a Monday.
    Came back in the following Monday to withdraw £100 and complained that the five £20 notes I gave him were not the same five £20 notes he had lodged the previous week. He even had a record of the serial numbers of the lodged notes.
    He became quite irate when I explained to him that the Bank didn't keep everybody's money in a separate drawer/file.

Finally - non Bank related
    a guy held up the queue in Newbridge train station last year as he demanded a copy of the goods train timetable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Mr Burns wrote:

Maybe you should report him to the cops like you want to do with every other insignificant event!

Advertisement