Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power outage and routers

Options
  • 30-11-2004 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hey,

Finally got my d-link modem working happily with a Linksys WRT54G, couple of computers on the network both wired and wireless. Everyone's happy. Then someone wanted to connect an xbox to the nw so he fired away and connected his cable in but it didn't pick up anything so he unplugged the router and plugged it back in.

At this point, we all lost our connection to the network and the router just stopped responding to anything. No access to config page, no ip allocation, nothing. So tried turning everything but one computer off in case it was a network conflict. Still no joy. Tried hard resetting the router, nothing. Tried unplugging the router and plugging it back in. Nothing.

The worrying thing is that even after hard reset and being unplugged for a couple of minutes the router still hadn't reset itself... is this normal? What kind of memory do these things have? When I first tried setting this up, when the router stopped responding I left it for a week and when I came back it was happy again. I can't believe that every short power outage is going to kill my router though, please tell me this isn't normal?

Advertisement