Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rural Wireless broadband service- what should i be asking about?

• 30-11-2004 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

A local community group near me in rural Wexford is about to start a wireless internet service with EU funding (Intreg fund).

I am very keen but have heard that wireless services can vary a lot so what should I be asking them about to make sure that I will get a fast, reliable service - eg speed, download limits etc?

Also how far does our antennae have to be from the computers in the house as the house is in a hollow but theres a high bit on our land that would have line of sight for their transmitter?

Info is on their website here
    http://www.claneire.com/connected/raheen.htm
    click on broadband on left column

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Wireless technology basically works so you'd have to form an opinion if that crowd is capable of delivering a reliable service. I wouldn't expect amazing reliability from a GBS, but maybe that's me being sceptical.

Normally these installations use PoE, Power over Ethernet. I don't know what the max distance is but I would guess a couple of hundred metres between the power source and the radio.

IrishWAN has Wexford coverage too and has been around for quite a while. Try posting in the SE forum at irishwan.org.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Where are you bohshead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bohshead

I am at a place called Palace East, just off the Clonroche (4 miles) to New Ross (8 miles) road, Raheen is about 3 miles, Ballinaboola about 4 and a half.
    I didn't realise there was already a wan network in Wexford, at present we are making do with a very slow dial up that comes from the Ballywilliam exchange.
    Oh and thanks for replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I know the place well. I'd say you can see the White Mountain from there - have a look and see (bright red light on top of the mast so you can see it at night)...in fact I'd be surprised if you cant see the white mountain! ;)

Great, I will check this evening.

• Advertisement

The mast is clearly visible, the red light is flashing! Need to trim the branches on one tree but no big deal. Can you let me know the details of getting involved with the wan.

Thanks
    Conor

Advertisement