Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2/4 NL tough flop decision

Options
  • 30-11-2004 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

2/4 NL 400 Max 6 Seater

You have $750
    Villain has you covered... He seems a v. good player

Your in the SB with AKs

Mid position player limps button limps

you raise to 20

Button calls everyone else folds

Flop comes A 9 7 Rainbow

You bet pot (about 45)

Villain min raises you to 90.......

What do you do and what is your plan for futher streets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

I would reraise him as from his perspective it might look as if your were trying to steal preflop i.e. trying to take out the BB and the limpers. When an Ace comes down he will expect you to bet if he has these thoughts because he will think that you have bluffed once and that now you are following it through especially with the Ace on board. Also the fact that you bet the pot may be seen by him as too much of a raise by someone who has hit top pair with top kicker. There arent many hands he could have you beat and unless he has hit A9 or A7 you will be a big favourite. Flat calling shows weakness and cant contemplate folding myself but what would I know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

2/4 NL 400 Max 6 Seater

You have $750
    Villain has you covered... He seems a v. good player

Your in the SB with AKs

Mid position player limps button limps

you raise to 20

Button calls everyone else folds

Flop comes A 9 7 Rainbow

You bet pot (about 45)

Villain min raises you to 90.......

What do you do and what is your plan for futher streets

Its a lot easier to play AK in position, so I would just call preflop. It makes the hand much easier to play, since you did raise I think your options are either to fold now, or call with the intention of calling down on the turn and River. Your either miles ahead (against AQ or AJ) or miles behind (999 777). Either way neither of you have many outs, so I think raising is a bad idea as you will lose the most when your behind, and win the least when your ahead.
    He also could have a suited A7 or A9.

What I would do here depends on the player. Many people would just call with set on the flop, but then most good opponents wont have AQ here.

The dialogue of this hand is:

Hi I have AK,
    I know that, I can beat AK

I think a relunctant fold is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

min raise by your opponent, after you've raised preflop and now raised on an Ace high flop? I think its a badly played flopped set by him.

If you don't think he could play a flopped set that way then call and see what he does on the turn, but be prepared to fold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

How did the hand turn out?

Advertisement