Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil heater problem

Options
  • 30-11-2004 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I ran out of oil a couple of days ago before I noticed (obviously, lol), and normally when this happens (everytime I order oil) I get the delivery dude to fiddle with the oil burner to get it working again, something to do with vapour lock or something. Anyway, this time I wasn't home when he called, and now I can't get the heating on and don't know how to sort the vapour lock thing.

On the oil burner, there are two lights, the power light which is always on and another light that says 'lock out'. There is also a button down beside the pump which has a red light on it. When I press the button, the pump kicks into action and the 'lock out' light goes out. The pump makes a horrible high pitched whirring sound for about 20 seconds than stops and the 'lock out' light comes back on, along with the light beside the button at the pump.

How do I get the thing going again without calling someone out???

Many thanks,

Robbie.

PS I'm freezing, so if you have a solution be quick!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

It's an air lock in the pipe from the tank and will normally require you to undo the copper pipe from the burner to bleed it. If it's the same as my last one (and the reset stuff sounds identical) then you're looking for a small copper pipe at the bottom of the unit(front right) fixed with a hex nut.

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Cheers Pat,

There's a thin pipe at the bottom right with a hex nut all right, I presume that's it. The pipe bends away at 90 degrees off to the back of the pump somewhere. Is it just a case of unlocking this hex nut? I presume I'll be covered in oil once I do it, right?

Thanks for the help,

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Robbie,

Have a read of this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=200552

Once you sort out the air lock once, you'll never forget how to do it again. Just don't let the oil run down next time.. :p

Advertisement