Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave or Ripoff

• 30-11-2004 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

My girlfriend and I are moving in together in Dublin begining of next year and we both want broadband we however dont want eircom. Ripwave was brought up as a possible alternative since there isnt a phone line required. Did a bit of searching and its turning out some people dont like ripwave since it may not be great. So what i am looking for is for someone to tell me if its any use and if it isnt who should i be going for, Read something about ripwave coming out with a new version but it made no sence to me. Any help will be greatly appreciated and greatly rewarded*

undefined* Reward may not be of monatery value and may infact be a sence of well being generated by user. This does not affect your stutory rights.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

It really depends on what you want it for...

Ripwave just comes in a box and is self install, however from what I've seen on boards this can take a few weeks to get (even though its just delivering a box). Reports seem to be 50% happy with it and 50% not.

The breeze 1Mb (requires aerial on building) seems to get a much better response and people seem to be happy with it, although it takes several weeks to get an install date.

When you call expect to hear 2-3 weeks quiet a lot (even when you have waited 2-3 weeks and chased again).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just don't bother with ripwave - i did and had my fingers burned. And if you look at what you're getting for Breeze Lite it's not all that more costly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Breeze is far superior but u have nothing to lose with Ripwave.

You get it if it works great u gotta broadband connection if not they send a courier to get it,take it back and refund you your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It very much depends on where you're moving in together. The area you move to will have significant impact on what type of BB you get. For example, it might be beneficial to move to an NTL broadband enabled area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 aodh3

Ok so I will probably take the plunge and go for it, Just one other thing I'm going to spec up my laptop with a wireless usb key. Ive been hearing that the Rip wave will work as a wireless lan does anyone have any idea if there is anytruth to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

My advice if you're going Ripwave - get the ethernet version of the modem, stay far away from the USB version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

I use Ripwave with an Apple Airport to create a wirless LAN. The "Wireless" part of it works fine WHEN ripwave is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

why is ethernet better ardent?

I have USB and apart from the multiple connection problems, there are also sometimes problems with the link between the computer and the modem.

Would you recommend switching modems? Should they do it for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Enigma365 wrote:
    there are also sometimes problems with the link between the computer and the modem.

My advice to stay away from the USB version was for exactly this reason.

Would you recommend switching modems? Should they do it for free?

Yes I highly recommend switching but they will not do it for free. They will charge 25 yoyos or so. Better to pay than be stuck with the above problem.

The sales staff never ask which version of the modem you wish to receive and you end up getting the USB version by default. In my case, they told me that the sales staff should have asked me which modem I wanted and that it was going to cost me to change it at that stage. Luckily for me, I had a whole host of problems with the modem - it turned out to be faulty - and I got replacement ethernet modem for free which worked great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

A friend of mine is thinking of getting RipWave installed in his apartment. What's involved in the installation? Any aerial needed on roof etc...?? How does the thing actually work?

Apologies if I'm taking the topic off the original poster but I thought it would be better than starting a new thread.

Cheers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've had both the USB and the Ethernet version (going at the same time on occasion) and the Ethernet version is much more stable. If you're getting a lot of dropped connections - which you will at one time or another - the USB verion will require many tiresome restarts. it can hang your machine or just refuse to pick up the signal again until it's restarted.

Before someone asks there is no speed benefit to be gained from using both at once. it simply defaults to the modem that picks up the signal first.

I could be wrong but, although the Ethernet version is much more stable, it does seem a little slower at web browsing than the USB modem.

To the above poster: no aerial or installation involved with Ripwave. Just plug and play.

Advertisement